Coronavirus Thread

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
crank

Re: Coronavirus Thread

Post by crank »

bangs-cutter wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 20:19
If there is one "good" thing that has come out of this, it is the increase in home haircut videos out there, albeit for our selfish consumption reasons. :roll:
I enjoy it when they come in to get those 'home haircuts' fixed because it often provides an excuse to go a little scissor-happy. It is interesting to ponder how people who seem fearful of scissor-happy stylists...the ones who only want the the slightest/tiniest trim...will fearlessly chop off a bunch of their own hair with a dull scissors. Irony... It has provided an opportunity to explore some really wonderful short haircuts on people who would have NEVER considered short hair otherwise. And...they seem no longer fearful perhaps because cutting their hair didn't kill them as they had feared? :lol:

That said, the salon re-opens today after being closed as most staff were quarantined after being exposed to an infected client. We're FULL! I am again 'un-retired' because one of the stylists has said she's not coming back because she' fears bringing COVID home to her family. I'm taking over her book. I'm headed there in a few minutes. Only one stylist became ill...she has recovered completely.

We're now checking temps, asking screening questions and reminding people not to come for appointments if they are not feeling well. We're assuring them if they cancel, we'll find a way to get them in and to please cancel as a way to be considerate of the safety of everyone.
klaatu48

Post by klaatu48 »

crank wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 16:53

We're now checking temps, asking screening questions and reminding people not to come for appointments if they are not feeling well. We're assuring them if they cancel, we'll find a way to get them in and to please cancel as a way to be considerate of the safety of everyone.
Glad to hear you're taking precautions -- good luck with the reopening!
~svenhair

Post by ~svenhair »

How does it make you feel knowing that the Red Cross testing of US blood supplies shows the presence of Corona Virus anti-bodies in donated blood given BEFORE China even announced their first case?

China obviously lied and should be held accountable on the world stage. Will it ever happen? Knowing how close Joe Bidens ties seem to be with China, his son and Chinese Communist spies, it seems highly unlikely. Those of you have lost relatives or friends should be pointing the blaming squarely at China. China lied, people died.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIqMMsmgfhZ ... om05n4u39q
SuperStylist

Post by SuperStylist »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Best laugh I’ve had this week!
~svenhair

Post by ~svenhair »

Well, so happy to make your otherwise pitiful week. I’ll just choose to see it as a maniacal laughter. 80 million new citizens n poverty from the lockdowns. Unless you deny the evidence. So now CBS is fake news too I suppose?
kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs »

Think I have it and if i don’t, will soon

The last place i stayed overseas was a resort which was super strict with Covid. When you landed you went right to your villa and got tested. Left in villa until negative results come back in 6-12 hours. That was 14th and we were negative. Before we left on the 19th we had to get tested again so on the 18th we were tested again and were negative. Once we got home my GF got tested again before going back to work for her work protocol. She was positive we clearly got it between resort and home and since we know it takes a bit to show up, it was the 19th as she tested positive on the 21st. Luckily her case is mild so far and i cancelled my trip to see my parents in fear i got it. I tested negative on the 22nd but that could just be because it doesn’t show up yet. Still don’t have bad symptoms or anything so we will see.
klaatu48

Post by klaatu48 »

Oh man.... Crossing my fingers for you, sir.
~svenhair

Post by ~svenhair »

It’s literally everywhere now. Some get symptoms, some don’t, some get really sick. Vitamin D levels seem to play a part. Asked a fellow clinician at Pfizer, how long the vaccine is good for? 🙄 get this.., they don’t know. We’re hoping it’s at lest 4 months but there’s been no testing. You mean, I could still get it after getting the shot? Yeah “We don’t know.”
kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs »

~svenhair wrote:
26 Dec 2020, 04:43
It’s literally everywhere now. Some get symptoms, some don’t, some get really sick. Vitamin D levels seem to play a part. Asked a fellow clinician at Pfizer, how long the vaccine is good for? 🙄 get this.., they don’t know. We’re hoping it’s at lest 4 months but there’s been no testing. You mean, I could still get it after getting the shot? Yeah “We don’t know.”
Luckily we just got back from tropical islands and I’m the most tan I’ve ever been in recent years, plus i take 10,000 IUs or VD each day so hope that helps.
kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs »

covid sucks, 100 degree fever and migraine headaches so far, sweating through multiple shirts a night, gf lost smell and hard time breathing but so far nothing too alarming
kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs »

Seem to be over it now but still doing with horrible body aches, hopefully be back to 100% by next Monday.
Sucks to have got it but least I'll have the antibodies for a few months until the vaccine is more readily available.
I'll get tested monday to see if I am still positive.
scissortooth

Post by scissortooth »

Well, even if you lose the antibodies it is supposedly less likely that you go down with it the hard way next time. The body beat the bastard once, it will likely know better how to handle it if it ever comes back.

I assume your gf is doing better too?
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

kensrs wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 21:29
Seem to be over it now but still doing with horrible body aches, hopefully be back to 100% by next Monday.
Sucks to have got it but least I'll have the antibodies for a few months until the vaccine is more readily available.
I'll get tested monday to see if I am still positive.
Glad to see you're on the mend, pal. I had it too in March. If it makes you feel any better I was recently retested for antibodies and still had a healthy showing of antibodies 9 months after the illness. FWIW it took me several weeks to get back to 100%. Don't push it.
Tizona

Post by Tizona »

That's three of us then - I had mine in August. Haven't dared venture near a hospital since.
בלש פגום
bangs-cutter

Post by bangs-cutter »

Still boggles my mind how there are still conspiracy theorists out there who still think the virus is a hoax.
SuperStylist

Post by SuperStylist »

Don’t lean into those antibodies too much, I know several frontline workers who have been sick with both variants. Not looking good for the vaccine, even if distribution was going well, which it isn’t! All we can do is hope that the authorities worldwide pull their fingers out of their asses and don’t squander the opportunity to improve our situation. Humanity is currently failing at this challenge. I did have some hope that we would be able to get on top of this, now all evidence points to another decade or more of dealing with covid. Get used to it, this is life now. Wear a fucking mask.
kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs »

scissortooth wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 07:57
Well, even if you lose the antibodies it is supposedly less likely that you go down with it the hard way next time. The body beat the bastard once, it will likely know better how to handle it if it ever comes back.

I assume your gf is doing better too?
ya we both are, still cant go out around others but both feel good outside of being tired and sore.
Jackie Treehorn

If the viral antibodies are no good then a vaccine is useless. Just the way it is. If a mask calms you down then by all means wear one. There is zero evidence that shows they help in any other way.
kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs »

Jackie Treehorn wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 19:27
If the viral antibodies are no good then a vaccine is useless. Just the way it is. If a mask calms you down then by all means wear one. There is zero evidence that shows they help in any other way.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/21546014/mask-mandates-coronavirus-covid-19

Masks also change peoples behavior, so while wearing one you are more likely to be reminded not to touch your face, wash your hands, etc.... clearly it does something if you look at the vox article.
Jackie Treehorn

Thanks for that article but I'm going to respectfully disagree. Let me preface this by saying again that I had Covid, my wife had Covid and my 83 year old mother had Covid. It is not a joke. I am over 50 and it was no walk in the park. Do I wear a mask in public? Yes. Where I live It's the law and I'll follow the law. At this stage it is also a matter of public courtesy. That said, I think it is a wasted effort. In the article you linked what you have is one selective month pulled out and I'm not sure how the data there fits in with what they are saying. There is at this point no direct correlation between wearing masks and a reduced spreading or vice-versa. I have read any number of articles where doctors or nurses make bold declarative statements like, “You’re less likely to get Covid-19 if you’re wearing a mask.” That's fine but please back that statement up with data. As of yet I have seen not one conclusive report.

There are any number of other factors that cannot be accounted for. One of these is population density. I'll use California and Florida as examples. California and Florida have policies that are almost diametrically opposed yet we see virtually the same spread. California has at this stage a larger number of cases. (Depending on the sample time size this may be regarded as statistically insignificant) What we can look at though is total cases and total deaths. If we look at Florida the number of total deaths is about 40% higher than California. On the surface we could surmise that California's policy is therefore the better one. If we however look at the population density we see that interestingly enough the population density in Florida is 40% higher than California. Now lets take into account age. Based on median age of citizens Florida is the 5th oldest state in the US (Considering the number of retirees I'm surprised its not number 1 or 2 actually). California comes in at around 45th. One of the few things we do know is that this illness is far deadlier to old people than young people. Based on the population age and density as well as their policy the on-the-face assumption would be that people in Florida should be dropping like flies. The fact is that we are looking at two states with completely different policies and.. it seems to make no difference.

Two things stick out to me and that is that 1.) I don't think we really know how this virus is being transmitted and I think that bothers a great number of health care officials. I believe the band-aid on that fear is "wear a mask". 2.) The most disappointing thing in the US at least is that we have created an incentive to fudge the number of deaths. It's a cold hard fact that a great number of people are being labeled as Covid deaths that did not die of Covid. Hospitals are cashing in more money because of this (This is not a conspiracy theory. It's just plain tax money fudging and it happens all the time.) A good friend of mine just lost his mother. She was 85 years old and had Stage 4 (lung) cancer. She happened to test positive in the hospital. Cause of death? Covid-19. What a farce. What we have caused by this is that we are spoiling a key metric in trying to make head or tails of this virus.

Just my two cents. That and about 498 more cents and you can get a cup of coffee somewhere.