Coronavirus Thread

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
fastmandan88

Re: Coronavirus Thread

Post by fastmandan88 » 31 Mar 2020, 16:52

These #FilmYourHospital conspiracy theorist wackjobs are disgusting. They are claiming all the infected and dead are "crisis actors" like Sandy Hook. They are angry now and making this go viral because now 31 states in the USA have statewide "stay home" orders including some sparsely populated states with few official infected numbers. This became attractive for these nutjobs because CBS fucked up by claiming an Italian ER filled with people was filmed in the USA and CBS had to aplogize.

Just warning you all because these idiots are infesting the whole internet with their lies and bullshit. I am pretty big into conspiracy theories but this is way too nutty for even me.

RitschRatsch

Post by RitschRatsch » 31 Mar 2020, 17:08

Last edited by RitschRatsch on 01 May 2020, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

fastmandan88

Post by fastmandan88 » 31 Mar 2020, 19:00

RitschRatsch wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 17:08
Dropped our infection rate 20%, here in the other Washington by continuing immediate, effective methods, instead of wasting our time trading on rumors, devising conspiracies because we're too cowardly to admit being wrong, clutching at straws for a miracle cure or bitching about "red tape" or anything else besides the administration that dismantled their nation's pandemic response team in 2018.
And that is where you lost me by still trying to play the blame game. Those conspiracy nutjobs all think Trump is a part of this conspiracy so I don't get what you are trying to do by screaming in anger about Trump. Doesn't really help out when you say we shouldn't be playing conspiracy games and you go on to come up with other types of conspiracy theories about Trump.

Hydrochloroquine is being used by Italy and France and other countries right now as we speak despite you conspiracy theorists who want us to give up and scream in panic.

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/28/bre ... -patients/

And what is this from Cuomo on March 6, 2020? He literally said people are STEALING masks and other medical equipment from hospitals and the supply chain. Why is copying Cuomo's own words now a "conspiracy theory"?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/people- ... -says.html

And...there was no "response team" in 2018 or 2017 or 2016 or 1900. It was an amendment to a bill by Democrats calling for a "response team" that never ever existed in history and it failed to pass Congress. Why don't you talk about the CDC's first two test kits that failed miserably? That had nothing to do with the lack of a "response team". It had a lot to do with laws giving a monopoly to only the CDC and the govt to make test kits for pandemics. Only after private companies were allowed to innovate did we start seeing good, reliable test kits to be made available.

RitschRatsch

Post by RitschRatsch » 31 Mar 2020, 20:03

Last edited by RitschRatsch on 01 May 2020, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

RitschRatsch

Post by RitschRatsch » 01 Apr 2020, 03:52

Last edited by RitschRatsch on 01 May 2020, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

RitschRatsch

Post by RitschRatsch » 01 Apr 2020, 18:42

Last edited by RitschRatsch on 01 May 2020, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

Tizona

Post by Tizona » 03 Apr 2020, 07:34

The wet meat markets in Wuhan have opened once again to much disapproval, since there hasn't really been enough time to conduct a thorough investigation. It would be helpful to have a balanced, civilised conversation about this, minus any extremitism from either side. Evidently I'm not alone in finding the reopening a little insensitive under the current global circumstances, but I'm also well aware of the West's shortcomings in the food and hygiene department (don't get me started on high street fast food joints), to say nothing of many other dubious practices around the world.
בלש פגום

kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs » 03 Apr 2020, 08:31

Tizona wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 07:34
The wet meat markets in Wuhan have opened once again to much disapproval, since there hasn't really been enough time to conduct a thorough investigation. It would be helpful to have a balanced, civilised conversation about this, minus any extremitism from either side. Evidently I'm not alone in finding the reopening a little insensitive under the current global circumstances, but I'm also well aware of the West's shortcomings in the food and hygiene department (don't get me started on high street fast food joints), to say nothing of many other dubious practices around the world.
heard they opened, what concerns me more though as far as china goes is there actual numbers. Without them its hard to model this virus and figure out the best way to approach it. Sucks they cant be honest with how many have died from it.

~svenhair

Post by ~svenhair » 03 Apr 2020, 12:43

Ddisp wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 01:33
~svenhair wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 13:51
From my source:
The malaria drug hydroxychloroquine with a standard Z-Pack antibiotic is emerging to be our best possible treatment for those infected. The US started double blind testing yesterday against placebo. France was so impressed by the first trial, they are implementing without the forgoing testing. The first French tests were only a small sample, but showed it killed the virus in the body in all patients in 4 days. Stunning results, let’s pray this works and that the pills can be procured in volumes necessary.
Can you post this source? There are currently no randomized, placebo controlled trials available, and the small studies that do exist total about 120 patients, which is absolutely minuscule for drug trials. It’s not that they are forgoing testing, it’s an already approved drug for malaria that they are using out of desperation in people where other treatments have failed. And in France, the viral load decreased, but no change was seen in their clinical condition. So, it may very well have been their immune system clearing the virus, not an antimalarial.

P.S. I am an inpatient hospital pharmacist, and would really like to see your source.
Hydroxychloroquine rated ‘most effective therapy’ by doctors for coronavirus: Global survey
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... herapy-do/

RitschRatsch

Post by RitschRatsch » 03 Apr 2020, 16:34

Last edited by RitschRatsch on 01 May 2020, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

RitschRatsch

Post by RitschRatsch » 03 Apr 2020, 18:57

Last edited by RitschRatsch on 01 May 2020, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs » 03 Apr 2020, 22:38

Crazy to think those masks in China before this were $.70 and now $6-7 each here and gov will buy all you have.
If you could back in time, win the powerball and invest it all into masks, you'd be a billionaire, lmfao

Friend is working with the one of the main Drs on these tests and they have created an at home test that you can do without ever going to the dr or sending it to a lab. They are working with China to get them made, once they are out, that will slow this way down as people can test themselves at home. I told him to get me a few but hes like he cant even get them yet so not sure how long it'll take to get enough of them made.

otas
Supporter
Supporter

Post by otas » 04 Apr 2020, 01:41

I'm sorry there are so many infected people in USA. Maybe you have very different mentality. All news about USA are that people are standing in long queues for buying guns. What do you want to do with them? Kill the others? I say for whole my life living is not about competition and agresion but about cooperation. So my advise is to help each other and protect others with your face mask as we do here in Czechia.

BTW that lady would be nice hair model, wouldn't she?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtEX2-n2Hc

kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs » 04 Apr 2020, 02:31

otas wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 01:41
I'm sorry there are so many infected people in USA. Maybe you have very different mentality. All news about USA are that people are standing in long queues for buying guns. What do you want to do with them? Kill the others? I say for whole my life living is not about competition and agresion but about cooperation. So my advise is to help each other and protect others with your face mask as we do here in Czechia.

Problem is our gov fucking sucks (both sides) and they'd rather take care of big corps than their own citizens.
See in our democracy politicians will take care of their big donors
Luckily me and people closest to me will be fine but there is a huge wealth gap in America and not everyone does well.
Believe the stat is 40% of of Americans cant afford a $400 emergency.
Now realize rent was due on April 1st here and some estimates state some will have to wait 10-20 weeks to get the $1200 they gave adults.
Good luck getting unemployment filed, in LV I know people have to call 3-500 times (no joke) just to get through and then get messages saying they are backed up.
Reason I mention this is there is a big fear amongst Americans that those people who cant afford groceries and have families to support, they may resort to crime and as a result people buy guns to protect their families.
I grew up around guns, I have 3 guns in this house all loaded, one under the couch, one in each of the main bedrooms.
I hope I never have to shoot it and it would be great if we could somehow control gun violence in this country but right now I need to make sure if someone does come in this house, I am OK, so I have them.

Gun topic is touchy because the far right refuses to do anything to control the problem, far left wants all guns gone which isn't realistic. Majority of Americans in the middle are like WTF can we just meet in the middle.

Seems like the country is coming around on the masks but good luck finding one.
They are almost impossible to find right now, the states are paying $6-7 each for them when they were 1/10th that before this.
Demand far out weighs supply because unlike Asia and other parts of the world, we were never a culture that wore them prior to this so most in here were for medical and construction but that is a tiny tiny fraction of what is needed.

3M is making some and I know people are buying anything they can get from China right now but everyone around the world is bidding on them so its kind of a free for all on masks and medical safety equipment.

artibus
Supporter
Supporter

Post by artibus » 04 Apr 2020, 07:26

kensrs wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 02:31
otas wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 01:41

Problem is our gov fucking sucks (both sides) and they'd rather take care of big corps than their own citizens.
See in our democracy politicians will take care of their big donors
Luckily me and people closest to me will be fine but there is a huge wealth gap in America and not everyone does well.
Believe the stat is 40% of of Americans cant afford a $400 emergency.
Now realize rent was due on April 1st here and some estimates state some will have to wait 10-20 weeks to get the $1200 they gave adults.
Good luck getting unemployment filed, in LV I know people have to call 3-500 times (no joke) just to get through and then get messages saying they are backed up.
Reason I mention this is there is a big fear amongst Americans that those people who cant afford groceries and have families to support, they may resort to crime and as a result people buy guns to protect their families.
I grew up around guns, I have 3 guns in this house all loaded, one under the couch, one in each of the main bedrooms.
I hope I never have to shoot it and it would be great if we could somehow control gun violence in this country but right now I need to make sure if someone does come in this house, I am OK, so I have them.

Gun topic is touchy because the far right refuses to do anything to control the problem, far left wants all guns gone which isn't realistic.
Majority of Americans in the middle are like WTF can we just meet in the middle.

Seems like the country is coming around on the masks but good luck finding one.
They are almost impossible to find right now, the states are paying $6-7 each for them when they were 1/10th that before this.
Demand far out weighs supply because unlike Asia and other parts of the world, we were never a culture that wore them prior to this so most in here were for medical and construction but that is a tiny tiny fraction of what is needed.

3M is making some and I know people are buying anything they can get from China right now but everyone around the world is bidding on them so its kind of a free for all on masks and medical safety equipment.
As far as the firearms issue, I'd just offer this:
In the hands of the vast majority of people, guns are nothing more than tools. Inanimate objects that will not cause harm, but can prevent the same if need be. The sudden demand for firearms rivals another inanimate object which can also serve a similar purpose if needed...toilet paper.
The old saying "better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it" carries a lot of truth. I pushed for patrol rifles to be issued in my agency years ago at a time when it wasn't deemed a necessity. Law enforcement tends to be reactionary, sometimes to a fault, when implementation of equipment is concerned. A firearm, or a defibrillator, or a protective vest.....

1) Anyone who needs to know where the guns are also needs to know how to use them properly, including Target Identification. Wherever you have a gun, also have a flashlight
2) Have knowledge of what your weapon(s) will do in regards to ballistics...a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with smaller shot will often be a better home defense weapon (Bedside) than a .223 or similar round that could possibly penetrate your neighbors wall, not to mention your son or daughter's bedroom wall down the hall.
That said, even the smallest and seemingly less lethal round can kill. I sat in court years ago and listened to the ME testify that one of my friends, who was a 230 lb fitness fanatic, could not have been saved from a single .25ACP round "even if the officer had collapsed onto an operating table immediately after having been shot". One tiny bullet found it's way through the side of a protective vest.
Sometimes shit just happens...but absolutely nothing wrong with trying to stay on top of things, including having a gun(s).
This coming from a 27 year LEO.

kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs » 04 Apr 2020, 08:20

^100% agree :)

Sorry for your loss man, it sucks.
Hopefully I never have to fire anything besides at a range or in the desert but least it's there.
Normally I leave my doors unlocked all day, which is a habit form living in the middle of nowhere most of my life where we left keys in the cars and doors unlocked during the day and at night. However with this going on, I've been sure to keep all doors locked and take other precautions as well.

Speaking of precautions, I realized yesterday how long it takes to go to the grocery store and make sure everything is clean.

Went in my car
Got to the store and realized they didnt have whipes for the cart (I had gloves on but still)
They did have spray bottles of disinfectant but no paper towels
Talked to two workers who were uselese
Eventually found a cash register with some and grabbed a few for my self and cleaned cart
Went through store and was extra nice to everyone
I always am but def felt other people being nice too, which was cool. People gave everyone space.
Got my food, got to check out and cashier sucked
She didnt have gloves, was touching everything around her and I purchased 24 bottles of mexican coke (soda, not drug, my bad vice)
She put her fingers around the top of each bottle where you mouth goes and I am like wtf, you got to be kidding me.
Get in the car, put all the bags in (had like $250 in food as I try to go 1x a week or less now)
Get home, open house up and get all the bags in
Wash my hands
Go back out and wash car, disinfectant where I was sitting, everything I touched, around car, etc...
Back inside and started to pull food out and put on counter
Tossed all the bags they gave me in the trash.
Cleaned off every piece of food and put in a new area that didn't have groceries in before.
Took most food like pizzas for example out of boxes.
Washed hands again
Put all clean food away
Cleaned all counters down completely
Then washed every handle I touched such as door handle entering, fridge, freezer, cabinet, etc...
Went upstairs took all clothes off and put in dirty hamper (I have one for dirty that I dont put clothes back in when they are clean)
Jumped in shower, got out and realized going to the store is now a 2+ hour chore and it fucking sucks

I likely go overboard but last thing I want is to be a carrier of this thing and not know it. I know odds are if I get sick, I'll be completely fine but I am scared to give it to someone else.

Had a talk with my parents today and was talking about the fact I might not be able to come spend the summer with them. Normally I go see them for around a month or so in the summer as it's nice and I can go fishing and just hang out with loved ones which is nice. However until this dies down that is not likely because I have family members (incl my dad) who have real bad breathing issues and will be in big trouble if they get this. As a result unless it goes away or I can get my hands on a home test kit, I wont be going to see them and if I go see them, I'll likely just drive the 23 hours vs taking a plane out of fear of giving it to him. It would suck to get on a plane to see them after taking a test knowing I am negative and then getting it on plane, giving it to him and him dying. I don't think I could ever live with that or forgive myself so kind of putting a hamper on my summer plans. Hopefully this all goes away but dont see that happening anytime soon.

Anyone else as crazy as me with this stuff?

Tizona

Post by Tizona » 04 Apr 2020, 09:25

kensrs wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 08:20
Speaking of precautions, I realized yesterday how long it takes to go to the grocery store and make sure everything is clean.

Went in my car
Got to the store and realized they didnt have whipes for the cart (I had gloves on but still)
Eventually found a cash register with some and grabbed a few for my self and cleaned cart
I always am but def felt other people being nice too, which was cool. People gave everyone space.
She didnt have gloves, was touching everything around her and I purchased 24 bottles of mexican coke (soda, not drug, my bad vice)
She put her fingers around the top of each bottle where you mouth goes and I am like wtf, you got to be kidding me.
Get in the car, put all the bags in (had like $250 in food as I try to go 1x a week or less now)
Wash my hands
Go back out and wash car, disinfectant where I was sitting, everything I touched, around car, etc...
Cleaned off every piece of food and put in a new area that didn't have groceries in before.
Washed hands again
Put all clean food away
Then washed every handle I touched such as door handle entering, fridge, freezer, cabinet, etc...
Went upstairs took all clothes off and put in dirty hamper (I have one for dirty that I dont put clothes back in when they are clean)
Jumped in shower, got out and realized going to the store is now a 2+ hour chore and it fucking sucks

I likely go overboard but last thing I want is to be a carrier of this thing and not know it. I know odds are if I get sick, I'll be completely fine but I am scared to give it to someone else.

I've literally behaved like this for years.

In the UK, when they assess you for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, you fill out a questionnaire scoring individual character traits out of five. If you score 40 or more they invite you to undertake twelve sessions of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I scored 109.
בלש פגום

artibus
Supporter
Supporter

Post by artibus » 04 Apr 2020, 16:42

Tizona wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 09:25
kensrs wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 08:20

Went in my car
Wash my hands
Washed hands again
Put all clean food away

I've literally behaved like this for years.

In the UK, when they assess you for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, you fill out a questionnaire scoring individual character traits out of five. If you score 40 or more they invite you to undertake twelve sessions of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I scored 109.
I honestly don't think you can be too careful with this and I applaud you for taking the actions you both describe.

Tizona, from what I see of you here I think you're pretty damn awesome. I know OCD can be frustrating at times, but your attention to detail (as manifested here) is a gift. At the other end of the scale is someone, like myself for instance, who tends to procrastinate (such as being here now instead of cleaning out my garage).
In the Military and in Law Enforcement, there is an acronym for those who have been in a long time and are getting close to the end of the road career-wise, and no longer give enough thought and energy to the job:
L.I.F.E.R. Lazy Insignificant Fuckoff Expecting Retirement. I just don't wanna be that guy.

Tizona

Post by Tizona » 04 Apr 2020, 17:54

artibus wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 16:42
I honestly don't think you can be too careful with this and I applaud you for taking the actions you both describe.

Tizona, from what I see of you here I think you're pretty damn awesome. I know OCD can be frustrating at times, but your attention to detail (as manifested here) is a gift. At the other end of the scale is someone, like myself for instance, who tends to procrastinate (such as being here now instead of cleaning out my garage).
In the Military and in Law Enforcement, there is an acronym for those who have been in a long time and are getting close to the end of the road career-wise, and no longer give enough thought and energy to the job:
L.I.F.E.R. Lazy Insignificant Fuckoff Expecting Retirement. I just don't wanna be that guy.
It does actually feel like procrastination, OCD, because 90% of the time it's only really indulged for the ritual. Repeating things again and again, triple checking everything you've looked at, writing endless lists, reading between every line, obsessing over every single thing people type or say. It's like doing a thousand piece jigsaw puzzle, drinking coffee until it's finished, then gin just to get some sleep. Then waking up and realising you ultimately just flushed eight hours of your life down the drain, chewing over the most mundane, pointless shit nobody even cares about.

Keeps the house tidy though.
בלש פגום

artibus
Supporter
Supporter

Post by artibus » 04 Apr 2020, 18:15

I've seen some extreme cases where individuals actually injured themselves. One in particular was a woman who continually scratched at her hands and forearms to the point that they had become severely infected. Very sad.
A lot of OCD patients are prescribed Opiod meds, and that can tend to open up even more problems if they aren't careful.
You stay safe and take care of yourself! We need you here. :wink:

I guess that last line goes for everyone!

PS.....I still haven't cleaned out the garage yet. :roll: