Bored or annoyed? Both?

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
crank

Bored or annoyed? Both?

Post by crank » 24 Apr 2019, 23:35

I wonder if I'm just grumpy or depressed or something...? I have been generally bored by the things I see posted here lately. I don't mean to throw shade on anyone who produces or posts material here. It isn't directed at you ad should not be taken personally. Rather, it is a general annoyance and disinterest in watching YouTube wannabes and others in my social media circles seeking attention by posting things which are not that interesting.

It isn't just hair-related stuff, it's EVERYTHING. Springtime is prom season. Every mom who has a kid going to prom has to post a pic of their kid all dressed up. But... Some of these people are posting entire portfolios of their kid's prom pics.
  • 25 pics from a 8 year-old's soccer game...
  • OMG I cut off so much hair! (2 inch trim)...
  • I gave up coffee...how will I live?
  • Memes we've all seen 100 times... FUNNY! :roll:
  • Virtue signalling BS...
  • Attention whores
  • Look! I'm having a muffin at Panera with my BFF #cheatmeal
  • I buzzed off all my hair... FAIL!

(How exactly did you fail?) I am just finding all of it incredibly annoying. Some of my clients bragging about their shit and their kids. AND... God forbid you don't click "Like" on every F-ing post or they think you're pissed at them or something. (Well... I guess I AM! :roll: ) I'm really sick of everyone.

Rant over, I suppose. I just needed to get that off my chest.

canadian

Re: Bored or annoyed? Both?

Post by canadian » 25 Apr 2019, 03:01

"I am just finding all of it incredibly annoying. Some of my clients bragging about their shit and their kids. AND... God forbid you don't click "Like" on every F-ing post or they think you're pissed at them or something."

in replying to that.. from the newer Vacation movie. "when you didn't click like to your friend"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qltl5c95ivw

~svenhair

Post by ~svenhair » 25 Apr 2019, 08:51

Whether its a waning libido, boredom or desensitization, something is going on with me too. I can remember back to days when the mere words from an attractive lady saying, “I want to cut off all my hair” would bring on a hormone induced adrenaline rush. Those days seem to be over for me. Models have to be super hot, the hair super long and the cuts super short, and all at once, to get my attention lately. Sometimes I wonder how much this has to be with being a younger widower. Things have been sucking at work lately too, so there’s that. Maybe just stress? Who knows.

scissortooth

Post by scissortooth » 25 Apr 2019, 13:30

I made it a habit of ignoring people in my FB feed who start posting show-offy or plain dumb things. Memes I can take, kids too to some degree, but that's it.

Also, I don't think being annoyed at the ubiquitous superficiality is something abnormal... While I don't think I'm in as negative stated of mind as you are, I've been feeling like a thousand-year-old prick for at least a few last years. And now once I have a kid - even more. I look at the world and I see so much stupidity, pointlessness, shallowness and narrowmindedness that I often have to go watch some kitten video to go back to functioning normally.

klaatu48

Post by klaatu48 » 25 Apr 2019, 15:47

Could it have something to do with the accident? Sort of a PTSD malaise? If it's a general crankiness, it might be worth talking to someone about it, just to make sure everything's okay.

crank

Post by crank » 25 Apr 2019, 20:08

No, I don’t think it’s PTSD. I just noticed I spend less time online owing to the fact that when I go online, I’m annoyed by or disinterested in what I find. That includes this forum, YouTube surfing and my various social media accounts. I’ve unfollowed many of my favorites on Instagram because I discovered I was no longer interested in anything they posted. I don’t come here nearly as often either. I suppose it’s good to reduce my screen time.

Not my libido! I’m not grumpy with Mrs. (I asked her) or with co-workers but I am noticeably more annoyed/short/intolerant with those narcissistic clients I’ve never really liked very much. Wifey actually noticed that I sort of ‘dismissed’ one of my hair clients who she had previously accused me of fawning over. (jealousy) We we’re out for dinner and she stopped at our table. It wasn’t ever true and I regard her as one of the most ‘fake’ people I’ve ever met. I was just equally fake with her because sometimes we do what we have to. Lately, I just don’t feel like fronting for people. I tend to say whatever I want like a grumpy old man, i.e. “I ain’t got time for this.”

Falakras

Post by Falakras » 29 Apr 2019, 04:54

Social media is the ultimate narcissism machine - and a megaphone for a seemingly endless stream of vapid inanity. In the struggle for satisfying clicks, likes, views, etc...folks will put up just about anything.

So I don’t blame you for being bored of it all. You’re not the only one. I used to look at Facebook daily - now I get on once a week and find it all pretty dull in about 5 minutes.

Seems you’re just annoyed enough to have run out of patience for the real world narcissists to boot. Try a little social media break or then coming back by culling and curating what your viewing.

TB303

Post by TB303 » 31 May 2019, 05:45

I posted something similar recently in a bald/buzz video. It's passe and all politically charged now.

Grumpy old man out :/

Elina

Post by Elina » 01 Jun 2019, 16:37

crank wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 20:08
No, I don’t think it’s PTSD. I just noticed I spend less time online owing to the fact that when I go online, I’m annoyed by or disinterested in what I find. That includes this forum, YouTube surfing and my various social media accounts. I’ve unfollowed many of my favorites on Instagram because I discovered I was no longer interested in anything they posted. I don’t come here nearly as often either. I suppose it’s good to reduce my screen time.

Not my libido! I’m not grumpy with Mrs. (I asked her) or with co-workers but I am noticeably more annoyed/short/intolerant with those narcissistic clients I’ve never really liked very much. Wifey actually noticed that I sort of ‘dismissed’ one of my hair clients who she had previously accused me of fawning over. (jealousy) We we’re out for dinner and she stopped at our table. It wasn’t ever true and I regard her as one of the most ‘fake’ people I’ve ever met. I was just equally fake with her because sometimes we do what we have to. Lately, I just don’t feel like fronting for people. I tend to say whatever I want like a grumpy old man, i.e. “I ain’t got time for this.”
I’m sorry you're feeling this way. It sounds like classic hairstylist burnout. It’s really common in the service industries. It’s definitely worth checking in with a therapist of some kind in case there is some underlying depression happening which isn’t work related. If you can, maybe cut back on your hours or try to find ways to delegate. Maybe even fire a few of your worst clients to help you feel more in control. At least things with your wife are good, that’s the main thing. Good luck!

Elina

Post by Elina » 01 Jun 2019, 16:42

I don’t really understand why people hate the content they see on social media. Solution, ignore social media. I do however understand why people hate the concept of social media, it is totally gross. My solution is to curate what I see by not following or muting anyone or anything that isn’t a personal interest. I guess it’s different if you use social media as a platform to promote your business, then it is truly exhausting having to engage with the personal lives of your clients. Maybe the solution there is to set up a business account and tell people that you’re taking a personal break from social media but you’ll keep engaged on the professional side.

crank

Post by crank » 01 Jun 2019, 17:27

Thanks, Elina. I'm good.

There's lots going on and many changes in my life. One big one is my two partners and I had accepted an offer to sell the salon because one partner (the oldest) wanted to retire and the opportunity to cash in her equity in the business would fund her retirement. My other partner and we felt some pressure from her but realized an offer like this might never come again. They overpaid, IMO, particularly for the real estate but the windfall of cash means I have plenty of money to retire though I am still too young to retire. One reason may be that I am no longer the boss/owner at the business I've worked hard to build. It's no longer mine. That's made me a little sad.

Another issue is some recurring headaches and vertigo from the head injuries I suffered when my vehicle was struck by a drunk driver. I spend some time in hospital. It's difficult some days for me to put in a full day of work without suffering some of those symptoms and I've been toughing it out for my clients. Not all of them appreciate it as much as I'd hope. I've spent my career listening and caring sincerely about clients going through 'their stuff' but some people are completely self-centered assholes and unconcerned about me or anyone else. That really bugs me.

I have a lawyer fighting with several insurance company lawyers. The low-ball settlement from the drunk's insurance company was an insult. The drunk's mom is/was a client who seems pissed at me for some reason; even though it was her kid who almost killed me. My disability insurance company is contesting my claims of being unable to work.

I've sold the business I've worked to build for years and many long-time employees are pissy and unappreciative of all the things we did for them for so many years because the new owners are not being as generous and have cut health and some other benefits. The new owners simply don't have as much cash because they're starting out and need to be conservative. I don't know how much they borrowed but I think it was a lot. Instead of employees thanking us for all we did for so many years, they're pissed and ungrateful. I'm generally fed up with people. ...angry/disappointed.

One bright spot is I DO have a handful of very special people who appreciate me. Though the terms of the business purchase contained a 'no compete' clause, I will be able to work. They were hoping I'd stay there but I know now that I cannot. I HATE going there. The bottom line is they didn't want me to simply open another salon, send cards to all my former clients, etc.; I cannot take my book with me. What I will do is whisper to my very favorite people that they need not look for a new stylist. I've arranged to work elsewhere on a limited basis and I'll see them at my house if necessary. Also, I've picked up a gig as a computer/business consultant helping salons with their software and online booking systems. I'm a bit of a computer geek... It's a full-time gig requiring minimal work, a few or no hours a week unless I'm helping with an implementation. I'll also help the sales guys close deals when they need me. The salary isn't much at all but I will hardly ever do anything and it provides health insurance which I really needed and worried about. My wife's job doesn't offer health insurance benefits. Phew!

Thanks for your concern, sincerely! I've spent enough time in therapy that I've learned to recognize the tricks my mind plays on me and how to deal with them.