Mental health resources.

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
SuperStylist

Mental health resources.

Post by SuperStylist »

I thought it might be a good idea given these stressful times to post something about mental health.

You can trash me as much as you want, I’ll ignore it because I can see some people here are hurting and if anyone is looking for help, maybe these resources can offer an anonymous place to start.

Resources aimed towards men who might otherwise find it difficult to seek help because of social stigma and shame around mental health.
https://allinforhealth.info/resources/m ... s-for-men/

One of the best resources for people who are struggling with sexuality and gender issues. You won’t find any judgment here and calls are anonymous.
https://www.thetrevorproject.org/source ... medium=cpc

Suicide prevention. These people are here to help anyone who feels alone and at risk.
https://afsp.org/

Mock this post as much as you want, if it helps one person, it’s worth it.
~svenhair

Re: Mental health resources.

Post by ~svenhair »

Nig

Post by Nig »

Trash you ? Never.
I have worked in UK mental health services (NHS) for 28 years.
Thank you for raising awareness and sharing those links. Mental health problems are all too often marginalised and frowned upon.
Ddisp

Post by Ddisp »

Good on you. I work in an inpatient psych unit, so glad to see you supporting others!
fastmandan88

Post by fastmandan88 »

Fantastic. I hope the people who need help ask you (and other professionals here) for assistance, SuperStylist.

Don't hurt yourself, especially over something some anonymous person said online. Take care, everybody. And everybody in the USA dealing with the crazy polar vortex from the frozen Arctic Ocean don't let it get you down.

Thank you, Nig and Ddisp, for all that you do for mental illness patients.
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

I think most here would agree that if anyone feels they are in need of assistance the best course would be to consult an actual licensed health care professional in their area.
fastmandan88

Post by fastmandan88 »

Jackie Treehorn wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 14:35
I think most here would agree that if anyone feels they are in need of assistance the best course would be to consult an actual licensed health care professional in their area.
Sure...that is the ideal thing to do but many mentally ill people don't want to see doctors in person in their area for a myriad of reasons, like not wanting their employer or coworkers finding out and also don't want to be put on a government watchlist like the ones that ban people from purchasing a gun in the USA if you go see a shrink one time. There is a reason mental illness and suicide hotlines leading to professionals helping out people hundreds or thousands of miles away exist. This isn't like getting treated for a broken bone. Thankfully telehealth and getting access to shrinks from the comfort of your home is possible now thanks to this Covid crap removing all the red tape from that last year.

Also in rural communities there aren't any psychiatrists anywhere for a few dozen or few hundred miles. Not everybody can just go drive to their shrink like in Hollywood or Manhattan.

Also many people are scared when they realize they have a mental illness. Why not offer them resources from all over the world instead of just telling them to go to the hospital and let the hospital have their way with them and turn them into guinea pigs?
Nig

Post by Nig »

Jackie Treehorn wrote:
Sadly, it is my experience from community mental health work that the person suffering from mental health issues will either suffer alone and without support, (thus slipping further into their problems and rather 'final' ways to deal with it, or they will seek to talk with family and friends. If the family or friends are not receptive to discuss the issues and dismiss their mental health problems with the stock answers of "just pull yourself together" or "get over it", this will in turn push the sufferer towards those negative, 'final' solutions.
Often the biggest step for mental health sufferers is admitting that they have a problem and seeking help.
Making it open and clear that if anyone needs help with mental health problems, they can seek help from those phone lines or talk with the people who have offered to listen and give them the kind of non judgemental support they need at a difficult time of their lives, can only be a good thing.
Naturally, they can be gently encouraged to seek more formal support, but they have to start somewhere.
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

Nig wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 19:17
Jackie Treehorn wrote:
Sadly, it is my experience from community mental health work that the person suffering from mental health issues will either suffer alone and without support, (thus slipping further into their problems and rather 'final' ways to deal with it, or they will seek to talk with family and friends. If the family or friends are not receptive to discuss the issues and dismiss their mental health problems with the stock answers of "just pull yourself together" or "get over it", this will in turn push the sufferer towards those negative, 'final' solutions.
Often the biggest step for mental health sufferers is admitting that they have a problem and seeking help.
Making it open and clear that if anyone needs help with mental health problems, they can seek help from those phone lines or talk with the people who have offered to listen and give them the kind of non judgemental support they need at a difficult time of their lives, can only be a good thing.
Naturally, they can be gently encouraged to seek more formal support, but they have to start somewhere.
I was trying to make a gentle point that seeking mental heath help here on this forum is an exceedingly bad idea.
scissortooth

Post by scissortooth »

Guy's you're feeding the troll. Don't.