Been testing Starlink from Elon Musk

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
murphy1746

Been testing Starlink from Elon Musk

Post by murphy1746 »

I got my test unit in. My initial testing has been great. Zoom calls, Teams, youtube all works great. If you live in a remote area in the north of the US its a great option
kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Been testing Starlink from Elon Musk

Post by kensrs »

first I thought you meant the nuerolink thing and I was like WTF
What speed you get with that thing and how did you sign up to get it, would love to get my parents one as they live in a remote area
Gerbil

Post by Gerbil »

It’s available for general public signup in the US now and some other places (heard some in Mexico).

Some people are getting them right away if their area has capacity. At my place (far north rural US) it is a preorder only, and will be first come first served. Though might be up to 6 months or so is what they said at signup.

Equipment is 499, with 99 shipping and then 99 per mo. The refundable deposit to get in on the list is 99.

I signed up Wednesday to get on the list. Had 3 friends in the beta, they all loved it.

Just went to Starlink.com and signed up there.

I have ViaSat now which is my only real option, and I get miserable service at almost 2x that price and I can’t wait to try a new option.
kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs »

Gerbil wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 03:17
It’s available for general public signup in the US now and some other places (heard some in Mexico).

Some people are getting them right away if their area has capacity. At my place (far north rural US) it is a preorder only, and will be first come first served. Though might be up to 6 months or so is what they said at signup.

Equipment is 499, with 99 shipping and then 99 per mo. The refundable deposit to get in on the list is 99.

I signed up Wednesday to get on the list. Had 3 friends in the beta, they all loved it.

Just went to Starlink.com and signed up there.

I have ViaSat now which is my only real option, and I get miserable service at almost 2x that price and I can’t wait to try a new option.
what speeds do you get though for $99/mo?
Try speedtest.net and it will tell you your upload and download speed
scissortooth

Post by scissortooth »

The article I read said 100 Mbps. I wonder how much it is in practice.
Gerbil

Post by Gerbil »

I’m still on the waiting list so I can’t test yet myself.

Friends in the beta said some variable results (it was a beta) but well over 50Mbps down regularly with bursts over 100. It was down for an upgrade for a few minutes once every few days. Up was in the 20+ range.