the Black Lives Matter thread

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
artibus
Supporter
Supporter

Re: the Black Lives Matter thread

Post by artibus » 07 Jul 2020, 12:34

kensrs wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 08:29
^ <3 it
Nice to have a normal conversation and both side show respect, def needed more in this climate.
I went to ATL a few times and not being racist with this statement but the main thing I remember is just outside the city every block it seemed like, even in residential there was a church and a waffle house, lmfao... I was like these people love Jesus and waffles.
In ATL I've met some of the nicest people I've met, but also seen some really bad racist things in SW Georgia as I had family in Dawson for awhile which is a small town. This was years ago but broke my heart seeing some of that shit, really hope its changed and everyone can view each other as people and not care about color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, job, etc.... because end of the day none of that shit really matters.

Really hope you are safe down there.

Can I ask what protocalls do cops have to take with covid when it comes to traffic stops and day to day work?
Luckily (knock on wood) I have been good at not being pulled over in like 10 years (I'm the asshole who drives 5 below the speed limit, I've gone so fast in cars for such a big portion of my life, I got nothing to prove) but just not sure what is expected of me to ensure the safety of the officer. My assumption is leave hands on wheel, wait for cop, then ask for permission to grab mask, and gloves (I keep them in my car for ATM/gas pumps) then hand papers and ID over with mask and glove on to protect the officer but no clue on your end what officers can do to stay safe out there while interacting with so many civilians on a day to day basis.

When the strip was shut down in Vegas (will happen again at this rate) it was dead for weeks but i'd ride bike on it, then everyon did and it was basically just a bike trail on the sidewalks and LV Blvd which was cool because I've never been able to just ride a bike up and down where there would normally be 100's of thousands if not a million people hanging out. When I did it early on there was almost no one and cops out numbers people 5-1, so I got a chance to talk to a few and had some good talks but that was before much was known so conversation was basically about how bored they are and how nice it is to talk to people (we kept distance and wore masks). Other than that haven't talked to many officers since softball out here is shut down and that is normally where I could sit and have in depth conversations on the topic, in Vegas that is my connection to cops but in other states I know more.

Your personal protocol is absolutely spot on, especially keeping both hands on the steering wheel in plain view and waiting for instructions.
The officer most likely will be wearing a mask and gloves when he approaches your vehicle and he will be keeping a safe distance from your window. After initial contact is made is the perfect time to ask if he/she minds if you put on a mask and gloves. The only thing I'd add is that people be mindful (as you obviously are) of the fact that that officer is at least twice as nervous as you are when they are approaching your vehicle. They are almost completely vulnerable to who and what is inside that vehicle, and they know it. People who have dark tinted glass and/or windows rollled up when the officer approaches should have the window down. Be sure and advise the officer if you need to reach for something (mask, gloves, paperwork, etc) BEFORE reaching and while keeping your hands on the wheel until directed otherwise. Above all, remember that the officer is a human being same as you , and feels nervousness same as you. Training and Professionalism are huge and the vast majority of officers have both. That said, they are also trained to stay alive, and "watch those hands" is part of that training. Getting pulled over is not one of life's joys (yeah it sucks) but it happens. Doesn't make you a criminal, and trust me the officer doesn't look at you as one either. They want to get it over with too, particularly if the weather sucks, and get you on your way. They are not judge or jury, and the side of the road is not the place for argument or debate. Even if you feel like you're getting a raw deal, save it and go to court.
One more important note..concealed carry is overwhelmingly growing, and is overwhelmingly supported by Law Enforcement. My wife and daughter both have permits to carry a weapon. Some States require that you notify an officer if you are stopped, others do not. Some States in fact have automatic notification that shows up when your tag is run. I would encourage you to notify immediately. It sets the stage of communication and trust and is appreciated.
Cops appreciate a citizen who realizes it is a job that has to be done, and who also realize that all of the emotions, yes including fear, that everyday people have are certainly part of the makeup of being an officer. Human beings interacting with kindness and understanding towards each other.

You get it kensrs. Thanks man.

seanchelsey

Post by seanchelsey » 14 Jul 2020, 16:45

This is a time when someone screams racist, it is like the jarring report of a gunshot. Everyone is fearful, running from it, seeking a place to hide. It is all too reminiscent of another time with the accusing and destructive word communist. Then, as now, a word could bring a lot of grief to someone, not always justified.

U.S. Sen. Joseph R. McCarthy once sought to expose any communists among us, real or imagined. It was a witch-hunt and it destroyed friendships, reputations and careers. Hollywood became a target and many of its artistic contributors fell victim to fear and self-preservation, pitting one against another. In time, people grew tired of this obvious red-baiting agenda and what it was doing to the country and wisely put an end to it.

Some of the news-making accusations alleging racism appear more tactical than truthful. Something from the past, real or rumor, can become like blood in the water, causing sharks to gather. It seems a frequent ploy, opportunistic, disingenuous, a feint to gain some end. It has been effective in attacks on individuals, businesses and institutions.

There are those most eager to exploit and cash in on the sensational rather than explore the sensible. Too many already have their minds made up in a rush to judgment.

“Communist” grabbed and held the headlines back then as “racist” does today. Less is said of people, unjustly labeled as communist or racist, suffering another sort of victimization.

a96

Post by a96 » 14 Jul 2020, 20:12

Interesting thread for a hairfetish forum lol

artibus
Supporter
Supporter

Post by artibus » 14 Jul 2020, 20:51

a96 wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 20:12
Interesting thread for a hairfetish forum lol
Yep it is. Just goes to show that us hair freaks come in all shapes and sizes.
Sit back and just picture in your mind a group together including everything from Wall Street types to some who are covered in tattoos and piercings....and a broad assortment of individuals in between. That's our happy :lol: family.