Coronavirus Thread

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coronavirus Thread

Post by kensrs » 11 Oct 2020, 06:45

otas wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 18:26
Nobody writes here but coronavirus is stronger than before. There are more than 3 times more people coronavirus positive every day than they were in March in my country. The hospitals are full of ill people now. Restaurants are open till 8 p.m., cinemas, theaters, fitness, swim pools - all cuture and sports are closed, concerts are canceled, it's forbidden to sing on public, all people must wear masks in public rooms and in public transport.
The politicians try not to harm economy so shops are open, manufacturing works, even hair salons are open. But situation is changing every day.
Hope it gets better but I've always feared the second wave would be the worst.

bangs-cutter

Post by bangs-cutter » 11 Oct 2020, 06:50

Historically speaking, the second wave of pandemics are usually worse than the first. That's because enough of the population have been infected, even though it lies just beneath the surface, and flares up worse when people become complacent / restrictions eased.

The world cannot keep on restricting movement and economy like this forever. Eventually we just have to live with the new reality that this new virus is here to stay and become part of life. It will become just another "background disease" which don't get media or political attention.

SuperStylist

Post by SuperStylist » 11 Oct 2020, 16:04

Or we could stop having these dumb culture wars, follow science, have our politicians do the jobs they have been elected to do and get on top of this virus with properly adhered to lockdowns, effective testing and tracing, adequate financial bailouts for individuals, small businesses and the arts while we wait for an effective vaccines to be developed and distributed.

I’m sure the QAnon freaked with no capacity for critical thinking or fact checking will jump on this comment and prove my point for me. “China, China, Trump, blah, blah, blah.”

The truth is that this virus didn’t need to kill hundreds of thousand, destroy global economies and continue to rage out of control. Politicians failed in their most basic capacity and enough of the population behaved like morons to screw the rest of us in the most stupid way.

Gerbil

Post by Gerbil » 12 Oct 2020, 02:10

We were not hit hard in the first wave here, but we’re now a hotspot now. Cases growing exponentially.

People are hurting and business are failing. People aren’t going anywhere even if places are open. We’re getting close to winter now, and with outdoor activities closed it will only get worse. People are hurting financially and mentally.

Sent my staff home to work, haven’t seen them in 6 months. And with changing jobs and moving myself, this will be the third year I haven’t seen my family, since travel isn’t possible anymore. Rarely leave the house but once a week now.

I hope you are all healthy out there. Stay strong. Appreciate you all.

tat00x
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tat00x » 15 Oct 2020, 20:27

We (Italy) are doing a lot of tests daily now, much more than what we was able to in the first wave. Both percentages (positive and recovered) are much lower, asymptomatic is 95% of the positive people. There's people who resulted positive for a second time after being healed.
I am a very rational person but there is something that does not come back to me. This said, knowing I'll be criticized, with current numbers what i think is that most of us took it without even realizing it and weaker people are gone. And this will only end with a vaccine. A better solution instead of the lockdowns, still in my personal opinion, would be to isolate weakest/older people from the others.

kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs » 16 Oct 2020, 07:02

tat00x wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 20:27
We (Italy) are doing a lot of tests daily now, much more than what we was able to in the first wave. Both percentages (positive and recovered) are much lower, asymptomatic is 95% of the positive people. There's people who resulted positive for a second time after being healed.
I am a very rational person but there is something that does not come back to me. This said, knowing I'll be criticized, with current numbers what i think is that most of us took it without even realizing it and weaker people are gone. And this will only end with a vaccine. A better solution instead of the lockdowns, still in my personal opinion, would be to isolate weakest/older people from the others.
if testing was better and more wide spread, I'd see no issues with that. I think the problem is most people cant get tested quickly around the USA at least, so if you have a home with someone 70+ it is very hard to know if you are going to infect them or not since so many are asymptomatic. Lets just hope a vaccine if proven viable this year.

scissortooth

Post by scissortooth » 16 Oct 2020, 21:33

Welp, shit has hit the fan in the pierogi and kiełbasa country too :P

And it turns out that during the relief months my government did jack shit and behaved basically as if it was almost over.

Well done, dumb fucks.

tat00x
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tat00x » 16 Oct 2020, 22:57

Pfizer should have the vaccine approved next month, hopefully. Source is a friend that is a doctor. I replied that many claimed the same but for some reason he was much more convinced by this one.

Chewie212

Post by Chewie212 » 17 Oct 2020, 02:55

One of my best friends got it from work. Thankfully it was mild, and he was only 'mildly sick' for 1.5 days. He had to isolate in the basement, away from his girlfriend, step daughter and almost newborn son.

crank

Post by crank » 02 Nov 2020, 19:50

Wife and I have both had it based upon serology (anti-body) tests. We're surprised and recall only being ill in February...bad colds. The test results came from the Red Cross after we donated blood. Again...it really surprised us. We're a bit relieved to know we've had it. I'm told by my doctor it's unlikely I'll catch it again or, if I do (because the virus mutates), he predicted I'd likely have only mild symptoms.

Given all the uncertainties, we continue to do all the recommended stuff; masks, distancing, etc.

kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs » 03 Nov 2020, 00:34

crank wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 19:50
Wife and I have both had it based upon serology (anti-body) tests. We're surprised and recall only being ill in February...bad colds. The test results came from the Red Cross after we donated blood. Again...it really surprised us. We're a bit relieved to know we've had it. I'm told by my doctor it's unlikely I'll catch it again or, if I do (because the virus mutates), he predicted I'd likely have only mild symptoms.

Given all the uncertainties, we continue to do all the recommended stuff; masks, distancing, etc.
Be careful as you could have had faulty tests, odds are you had it but you never know. I know 10+ people now that have had it, some bad, some mild, as we had an outbreak at a gym we visit. I haven't had it that I know of and I had a test done in Sep that showed I have no anti bodies. Still been wearing masks, social distancing, all that other stuff. Going to go on a major lock down in 2 weeks before our trip, my GF and I are going over seas and we need to pass a covid test before we go so we are being super careful those two weeks because if we fail, we are screwed and out a bunch of money.

crank

Post by crank » 12 Nov 2020, 16:25

I expected COVID to spike along with the seasonal cold and flu season. In the US and other places around the world, it has surged to a critical level. Locally, hospitals with COVID units were nearly empty all summer but recently, the surge has filled them to capacity to the point they are turning non-COVID, non-critical patients away; this according to medical professionals who work in those hospitals.

It had become a political bludgeon in the US during election campaigns...one side calling COVID a hoax while the other insisting the pandemic would have been stopped if not for the President and Republicans. COVID is not political and it is not a hoax. It spreads as viruses will do. I had hoped the politicization of this would stop once the election was over. The stupid bickering became tiresome long ago.

I got word the salon is closed again yesterday afternoon and all of the staff and clients have been asked to isolate/quarantine. I was not there because I don't really work there anymore unless called upon to help out. The closure and isolation comes after some stupid fucking idiot who tested positive for COVID came into the salon for a haircut.

One of the stylists recognized him as the relative of someone she knows. His COVID diagnosis, just two days earlier, was shared on social media... "XXXXX just tested positive for COVID." (frownie-face emoji) i.e. word of mouth.

She told his stylist, "He has COVID." She, in turn, asked him if he had COVID. He confirmed he did! She told, "Get out!" He protested that his haircut was only half done. She told him to leave or she would call the police. He did leave after they made it clear a mob of angry stylists would beat his ass if he stayed. I heard it was quite a scene.

This guy had symptoms and knowledge of his illness, yet the thoughtless asshole is out in public putting others at risk despite all of the warnings and guidance. WTF! Everyone in the salon (employees and clients) must now get tested and isolate because of this asshole...lives on hold...no income...their families at risk too. The salon is closed for cleaning and likely will not re-open until all of the staff have completed their 14 day quarantine and tested negative for the virus. What is wrong with people????

viper74

Post by viper74 » 12 Nov 2020, 17:05

Sorry to hear this. Stay safe and all the best for you co workers.

SuperStylist

Post by SuperStylist » 12 Nov 2020, 17:23

Sorry to hear that, what a scumbag.

klaatu48

Post by klaatu48 » 12 Nov 2020, 19:40

What. An. Asshole.

He obviously takes it to the extreme, but I'm continually stunned by how little regard people can have for others. Good lord.

Gerbil

Post by Gerbil » 13 Nov 2020, 02:44

Seems tat00x was on the money with the latest announcements for Pfizer. Glad to hear it, a vaccine is desperately needed.

And as much as we all obviously appreciate a good haircut (I mean we’re here) what a d!ck move by that guy showing up to crank’s salon after testing positive. I would ask how that guy would feel if a stylist or their family got really ill, but clearly that’s a waste of time, since they clearly think of nobody else but themselves.

Hopefully everyone is still ok.

klaatu48

Post by klaatu48 » 13 Nov 2020, 06:43

What's crazy is that there is very little settled law in regard to COVID in the states. This guy could very well be charged with manslaughter to some degree of he knowingly spread the illness (along the lines of how you can be charged for knowingly spreading HIV/AIDS). So this guy could wind up screwing himself over, too, and even that isn't enough to get him to be responsible.

To be clear, I'm not saying he definitely could be, but it's possible. There's no court precedent to rely on yet.

crank

Post by crank » 13 Nov 2020, 14:53

I'd attribute it mostly to being being young and dumb...clueless...immature... Whatever word you want to use to describe the times in our lives where we do not fully consider consequences for our actions. Personally, I have a few. Only after experiencing seeing people killed by drunk drivers makes me recall with regret the number of times I got behind the wheel when I shouldn't have. Back then I never, ever thought about the chances I might kill someone or myself. I worked as an EMT when I was younger and saw things first-hand. I grew up in a hurry.

I have a more detailed account now if what happened at the salon. The guy was just stupid. He said he was told that wearing a mask would prevent him from giving COVID to anyone. He was angry because they were making him leave with half a haircut. His primary concern was he'd look like a dork...not any issue over his individual rights or a tirade saying COVID was a hoax. He was just being selfish. So far, everyone is OK...no illness or positive tests.

There was another story of a young woman who tested positive for COVID on her 21st birthday. With that knowledge, she decided she didn't want to miss out on her "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity to get drunk in bars with her friends. :roll: She went on a pub crawl. This was early in the pandemic when contact tracing was still pretty effective. Turns out she was a super-spreader. All of her friends were infected and many, many people who were in the bars she visited. She had no regard for others. It was a big topic of local gossips. After she realized what she had done, she lawyered up. I have not heard whether she was charged with a crime. I don't believe anyone died. I suspect not because it would have been big news.

SuperStylist

Post by SuperStylist » 13 Nov 2020, 17:11

Like it or not, this is why we need mandatory lockdowns.

bangs-cutter

Post by bangs-cutter » 14 Nov 2020, 20:19

On a related lighter note.

Back in the early first half of the year, when much of the world went into lockdown, it resulted in a spike in home haircuts when people get bored and wanted to experiment cutting their own hair. It is noticeable with keyword searches.

Now that Europe has entered another lockdown for the second wave, I have started to see the quarantine-related home haircut videos appearing again.

If there is one "good" thing that has come out of this, it is the increase in home haircut videos out there, albeit for our selfish consumption reasons. :roll: