Coronavirus Thread

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Coronavirus Thread

Post by kensrs » 12 Mar 2020, 10:56

Figured might as well be one, I guess I am wondering how bad each of you think this will get. If you respond please let us know what country you are in because what is happening in America for example may not apply to other nations.

kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coronavirus Thread

Post by kensrs » 12 Mar 2020, 10:59

IDK how bad it will get, my guess would be it will depend on how well areas that are hit with it react to it. If they don't put precautions in place, it could get real bad but if they do, it wont be anywhere near as bad.

Was interesting watching everyone at a local grocery store use the cart cleaning pads they have at the entrance, created a line of carts and people waiting to clean the handle before using it. Before it was under 10% that did. Same thing at local gym with people being extra clean, was kind of nice to see that for a change.

Side note:
I am going to a few music festivals later this spring and need to plan my travel plus we have a big shoot in AZ at end of the month. Problem is the school may be shut down so we'd spend all that money on ads and then no shoot, already got hotel paid for which can't be refunded so hope it goes well.

condorcet

Post by condorcet » 12 Mar 2020, 11:13

I live in France and have travelled in Italy (Venice) in January. I can't tell how preoccupied I am since Italy's Prime minister decided to take restrictive measures. I must add our governement's undecision is insane and dangerous.

eyegug

Post by eyegug » 12 Mar 2020, 11:27

I’m in the US and I am in healthcare. My feeling is there is nothing we can do to stop the spread of the virus, only to slow it down. Ultimately, everyone will get it just like all other coronaviruses that cycle every year. They are hard to vaccinate against. The difference here is how deadly it is for the elderly and how overwhelmed the hospitals will be. If everyone does their part to help limit the spread of the disease, the number of deaths can be limited because hospital beds will be available. More concerning is if the government mandates a lockdown and everyone is stuck at home for weeks, is everyone prepared enough? If everyone actually stayed at home for a month and truly didn’t leave, the disease actually could be stopped. If the government said everyone must stay at home starting April 1 and to prepare, it could work. Unfortunately, I don’t think people will follow directions and actually stay at home...if I was over 70 (and maybe even over 60), I would be self quarantining to keep myself safe.

Fortunately, young people do not seem to be at risk, but we all need to do our part to limit the spread as much as possible. At least one of our vulnerable age groups isn’t vulnerable to this. Masks don’t work like people think they do. They don’t prevent you from breathing in respiratory droplets in the air. However, they prevent you from touching your nose and mouth. I don’t advocate for stockpiling masks, my office is running on bare bones right now, but I will say that I think a mask can be a helpful reminder to not touch your face. Similarly, wearing gloves can help remind you. Wash your hands a lot and try not to touch your face.

Another big concern of course is the economy. If the work shuts down, so does the global economy. Ultimately, I think that will hurt more people than the virus (except for those over 70).

For what it’s worth, the only information I have on this is from what I’ve read and referencing my educational background. I don’t have confidence in the information coming from our top government officials and even the news can overhype things, so I try to find reliable sources of information, particularly healthcare institutions, to draw my conclusions.

We will get through this and humanity will persevere. This is not the first time we have faced a new disease. There will be death and I imagine everyone will be affected by that in some way, but in the end, the great majority of us will be ok.

gigin

Post by gigin » 12 Mar 2020, 11:37

I find the whole "hoard toilet paper" thing perplexing. It's almost like it's a colossal 4-chan prank. As far as I can tell, it started when a sister of a Hong Kong actress made some audio recording saying that the overwhelming majority of toilet paper produced in China was in the Wuhan province and with people getting sick there, production would slow down or cease. She cited a friend of her husband who apparently works in the toilet paper industry in China. And it snowballed from there.

Yes, toilet paper is produced in the Wuhan province, but not "the overwhelming majority" of toilet paper.

Hoarding masks, bleach, Purell, disinfecting wipes, etc., I can ALMOST understand hoarding, but toilet paper? Um.....OK.

Time for the establishment of a National Strategic Reverse/Stockpile of toilet paper!! (ha ha)

scissortooth

Post by scissortooth » 12 Mar 2020, 14:27

I'm in Poland (33 cases, no death so far, last time I checked). The situation here is sort of hard to rate. One one hand the govt went for measures restricting people-to-people contact quite early, but our healthcare, while theoretically free of charge, suffers from lack of personnel and equipment shortages, as it is expected to fare at the "expected minimum" level, so to say. So... if the preventive measures work and we don't get a flood of sick patients, we'll be fine. If we do, though, it will be Italy redux.

People are hoarding grain products (pasta, rice, groats, flour, etc.) first, meat (especially "smoked" packaged pork meat), and toilet paper too. I was in the store today and all these things were cleaned off the shelves. No problem with buying anything else really.

As for the atmosphere, it's business as usual expect people seem to keep an even greater distance than they usually do.

All in all, I'm not too social a person and I run a home business without much human contact, so for me it's mostly also business as usual.

klaatu48

Post by klaatu48 » 12 Mar 2020, 14:48

I'm in the U.S., and I feel like we're going to get curb-stomped by this thing. Half of the country will remain ignorant if the danger on purpose, and the other half will be metaphorically trying to shovel sand with a fork to try to stop the spread. People will ignore quarantine suggestions (like that father in St. Louis) and the economy is going to be hit hard, creating even more of an issue

It's just gonna get really, really ugly, though I'll admit I'm a pessimist by nature.

viper74

Post by viper74 » 12 Mar 2020, 15:05

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Current status is that we have 614 infected persons, 82 are hospitalized and the rest is in quarantine at home. Worrying factor is that we don't know how 123 of those 614 got the infection. Current death toll is 5 (total population 17 million people.

Another worry is that were 13 days behind on the curve we have seen in Italy but on the same trajectory. So i 13 day it might be a big crisis. The government is more worried about the economic problems...that happen we go in full lockdown.....Our primeminister told us to stop shaking hands and after the press conference shook hand with the director of our version of the CDC....

A part of the country is in lockdown but everybody is not to worried, it's just a flue on steroids. I am a little nervous about that one. Some cases were ingnored by hospitals because people had the symptoms but the had no contact with people from Italy or China......

Let's hope the peak is not as significant as Italy.

~svenhair

Post by ~svenhair » 12 Mar 2020, 15:20

We can all take necessary common sense precautions, like these. Spraying your kids in the face with bleach after school is particularly helpful. 😉😆

https://www.facebook.com/caroline.huble ... 354275950/

viper74

Post by viper74 » 12 Mar 2020, 16:28

Well, this is just in. Just had a press conference with the PM, Secretary of Health and director of CDC. Meetings with more than 100 people (theaters, zoo's, sportsgames etc.) forbidden. But we keep our schools up an running.......between 800 and a 1000 kids running in and out.....Airports still open. This morning an flight from Iran landed and nobody has been put into isolation.....

artibus
Supporter
Supporter

Post by artibus » 12 Mar 2020, 19:54

I'm in the Southeastern US. The announcement came down last night that the NBA had suspended their season after a player tested positive and the game that was to have been played was cancelled literally minutes before the start. This meant that approximately 15.000 people who were already in their seats were instructed to leave.
Other BIG sporting events have now either suspended games or have taken the route of the event going forward, but with no spectators allowed. This includes the NASCAR auto race in Atlanta, which would have drawn around 150, 000 or so fans.
In addition, it is a strong possibility that the Masters golf tournament, and the upcoming Major League Baseball season will follow the same route.
This turn of events serves as an eye opener (without question) for those like myself who thought this was perhaps being hyped a bit more than needed. The financial implications are huge, and that speaks volumes as to how serious this could become. Hopefully, the measures currently in place, along with common sense preventative actions (hand washing, etc.) will help to prevent the huge spike in new infections, and lessen the severity of this thing.
The one thing that is absolutely not needed is panic. As others have said, we can, and will, get through this. Just my .02.

kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs » 13 Mar 2020, 10:54

viper74 wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 16:28
Well, this is just in. Just had a press conference with the PM, Secretary of Health and director of CDC. Meetings with more than 100 people (theaters, zoo's, sportsgames etc.) forbidden. But we keep our schools up an running.......between 800 and a 1000 kids running in and out.....Airports still open. This morning an flight from Iran landed and nobody has been put into isolation.....
The reason I hear on schools being open makes sense (I'll put a link below to source) is because they need "babysitters" for kids who work in the healthcare system. If you close schools, a lot of parents have to stay open from school as they don't have day care and then that leads to people calling in sick or taking leave which won't help when we have a severe shortage of medical professionals for something like this. Keep kids in school, keeps their parents going to work which matter in the medical field.

Lots of interesting info in this podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw

viper74

Post by viper74 » 13 Mar 2020, 10:59

In Denmark schools are are only open for the people in healthcare and other emergency services. The amount of students are and therefore risk is reduced.

~svenhair

Post by ~svenhair » 13 Mar 2020, 11:44

Tizona

Post by Tizona » 13 Mar 2020, 12:52

kensrs wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 10:54
Lots of interesting info in this podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw
Literally just watched that last night - Joe Rogan's is the only regular podcast I follow on YouTube.

Did you catch the Edward Snowden episode?
בלש פגום

kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kensrs » 13 Mar 2020, 17:21

^Yeah it scared the crap out of me

tat00x
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tat00x » 13 Mar 2020, 19:41

From what I've seen here in Italy (I'm near Venice), until the government decided to put the current limitations (since yesterday) most people continued to live normally without taking much care. Now the situation is being taken very differently from 2 days ago by people but we've spent 2 weeks to understand how big the problem was. All other states now have this advantage, seeing Italy you know what will happen in your country in the following days/weeks and governments should take the necessary precautions learning from our errors.

Just my current opinion

viper74

Post by viper74 » 13 Mar 2020, 20:18

Take care!

pleb989

Post by pleb989 » 13 Mar 2020, 21:27

If you look at it from a purely selfish (self preservation) point of view, then if you aren't 70+ years old and you don't have any serious underlying health conditions that have either compromised your respiratory and/or immune system, then you really don't have all that much to be afraid of.

When looking at the deaths/cases statics that you see in the news, please keep in mind that you are only seeing a comparison of deaths to confirmed cases, which is not the same as comparing deaths to actual cases. Most actual cases are going to be so mild that people don't get tested and therefore wont get counted in the statistics that you are seeing reported in the news and on social media.

In all likely-hood the reported cases to actual cases ratio is going to be in the order of 1 reported case to every 10-20 actual cases. (As stated by the UK government when they said that the estimated number of actual cases is believed to be between 5,000 to 10,000 cases in the UK compared to the reported ~550 at the time). Which would sway that 1-3% mortality rate you see on the news to more like 0.05% to 0.3%, and again, almost all of them will be elderly and/or have significant underlying health conditions.

So to everyone who is starting to panic a bit i say this. Stay calm, act responsibly for the sake of the people who are actually vulnerable to this and don't get sucked into a pattern of behaviour that is actually more dangerous to you than the very thing you are trying to protect yourself against.

Society will not collapse because of this, there will not be widespread food shortages and the lights will stay on.

fastmandan88

Post by fastmandan88 » 13 Mar 2020, 21:39

Stay safe everybody!

I still don't trust China's government's claims to where their death toll and infected toll mysteriously bottomed out to zero and zero, respectively, everyday starting about two weeks ago. They will later claim with their artifically rigged numbers that they had everything under control when EU countries, Canada, and the USA have (God forbid...let's hope not!) at least more than 4K deaths in each country (China will not let the official death toll numbers go higher than 4,000).

As for the toilet paper hoarding "problem" what do you want us to wipe our asses with? Newspapers and leaves? And toilet paper never expires, so hoard away. I'm more angry about the hoarding of hand soap and hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol. Each person doesn't need more than one big jug (one big jug for each family member) of hand sanitizer that would last them for 6 months if they use it everyday at least once per hour. There is no such thing as too much toilet paper, OTOH.