Applaud button coming to YouTube

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
kensrs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Applaud button coming to YouTube

Post by kensrs » 04 Mar 2020, 11:47

IDK where to put this, was going to put into producers area but just put it in off the wall.

So if you follow tech you know Twitch is crushing it, and Microsoft just launched their video streaming site and signed a huge gamer.
Future of video online is in a big part going to be live vs what we got now in YouTube.
One reason people stream on Twitch and Mircrosoft is the ability for the gamers/content creators to generate more money as they can get live donations.

YouTube is coming out with it with purpose of having it in live streams so people can donate to the content creator and also having it in regular videos like we share on here. Its next to the thumbs up button, and its only in beta mode so I dont have it on my videos but you will see some videos with it on youtube.

The cool thing is with AdSense so normal ad revenue its a 50/50 split so what the ad buying customer pays is split 50% to YT and 50% to channel owner. With Applaud it's a 70/30 split in favor of the content creator.

Very cool move and one of many I think YouTube/Google will make moving forward.

Here is a video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj7pFiuBPkk

To be clear, I in no way am asking anyone to donate to me on youtube. If anyone ever wants to donate I'd MUCH rather have you buy a video vs donating/applauding and getting nothing besides a free YT video. I just love this type of stuff and thought it was cool.

Funny side story: My sister and her husband spent an insane amount of money ($3K) on my nephew so he could play videos games and be on youtube. Basically got him a new computer, desk, green screen, cameras, final cut pro, etc... and he plays video games, then my sister edits the videos for him and puts him on his channel. He then has his friends at school (hes like 6) watch his videos. Crazy thing is they just started the channel about 2 months ago and already got 1,250 subs, most from young kids in Australia of all places. I'm like WTF, at this rate he will beat me to 100k and I'm at 40k now, lmfao.... I obviously wish him/them nothing but the best as my sister and her husband are AMAZING parents and he's a great kid. It's cool as his brother is his agent and I think his sister might be his manager, lol. It's teaching them about tech and business so it's a good learning thing for the kids and if he continues to grow at that rate, then maybe they can make their money back, if not, its something they enjoy as a family and kids learn life lessons. It's also cool because now in our family group text, my sister and I talk a lot about YouTube and strategies and my mom and dad are starting to learn about it.

~svenhair

Re: Applaud button coming to YouTube

Post by ~svenhair » 04 Mar 2020, 20:50

Wow?

"You can applaud for any videos up to $500 / day"

I'm sorry but, who the hell would do that?!

fastmandan88

Post by fastmandan88 » 05 Mar 2020, 01:10

Live videos suck though. It's like 95% them being silent and not saying anything or the gaming content is boring. At least with edited videos they get it down to when actual stuff is happening.

Pewdiepie videos are fucking awesome and he doesn't do livestreams. He edits it down to the good shit and then he does his thing with his commentary.

If you are saying it is similar to what camgirls do on adult websites then yeah I can see how that is enticing for people who want to be live streaming stars.

bangs-cutter

Post by bangs-cutter » 05 Mar 2020, 06:46

"If you're good at it, never do it for free." - The Joker (The Dark Knight)

There is an appetite for stream content especially now with fast internet speeds. If you are good / passionate about something, and you know how to reach out to your target audience, you can make money of streams part time, or if you are really famous, full time.

In East Asia, you can even stream yourself eating food, and people actually watch (and pay for) that kind of content. Granted, you've got to be an attractive individual to begin with (or just be really good at make-up, or trick your viewers using live beauty filter apps).

There was an incident where a Chinese streamer has been fooling her viewers for so long, until one day, her live beauty app filter failed. The truth came out. She's actually 58 year old woman with below average appearance, no make-up. And she fooled her streamers pretending to be a young woman in her early 20s with attractive looks.

Anyway, the bottom line is that to be a successful streamer, you've got to be good looking to begin with. It all comes down to the good old "sex sells" formula. If you are not good looking, then your content has to be very interesting, unique, and highly targeted.

Personally I am not a fan of live stream content. I don't want to, or have the time, to sit through watching a long stream only to have a few minutes of interesting stuff. I much rather the video made properly and cut down and edited to only have the interesting bits.

Of course it's a different market altogether. As kensrs mentioned, streamers make loads of money doing it live, due to live donations. Seeing someone's face live makes it more likely someone will donate to get them to do something, than to pay for the same content later.
It's not "just" a bang cut! I'm a sucker for bang chops!