MBTI

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
Imp666

MBTI

Post by Imp666 » 14 Jun 2019, 08:26

How do you like the Myers-Briggs type indicator (MBTI)? At first, I was like “wow“, but the longer I am concerned with it, the more I can see inaccuracies. The test is based on the functions by CG Jung, but very superficial and if your first function is introverted, your second function must be extraverted. Then your third function has to be introverted, again. According to a Jung test, most of my functions are introverted, according to the Mbti I would be FiNeSiTe, (introverted feeling,
extraverted intuition, introverted sensing, extraverted thinking) which is quite inaccurate, because I am no extravert thinker, not even inferior. I am an introverted thinker as someone can be, so my introverted & extraverted intuition are quite the same (which can't be, according to the Mbti, because they say that the functions like Ni and Ne, for example, are quite contradictive) Long story short: if you just use the letters (for example INFJ or ESTP) you have a nice superficial stereotyping system you can use to classify movie characters and maybe some of your fellows. But I would never say that the MBTI is scientific & CG Jung would be turning in his grave if he learned about this “type indicator“.
Fire Walk With Me

AbelianGroup

Re: MBTI

Post by AbelianGroup » 14 Jun 2019, 15:07

OP, if you really want to know more, then psychometrics is the field you want to look into. Not my field, but tangentially related to mine, so I can't really go into too much detail. Two main problems: reliability (consistency within the same person) and validity (measuring what it claims to measure). MBTI tests do badly at both.

Big Five indicators are better in those regards, and it also has neuroticism.