"Alita: Battle Angel" is amazing

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
fastmandan88

"Alita: Battle Angel" is amazing

Post by fastmandan88 » 13 Mar 2019, 03:49

Highly recommended. Saddest thing is horseshit like Marvel and DC will get 100 more crappy sequels and remakes while this is probably going to be the only Alita movie (it heavily hints at future movies at the end).

The short-haired hottie from Maze Runner 2, Rosa Salazar, plays Alita.

bangs-cutter

Re: "Alita: Battle Angel" is amazing

Post by bangs-cutter » 13 Mar 2019, 04:26

I've been following the online proxy war surrounding the Captain Marvel controversies. The side which hates the SJW agenda of Captain Marvel, tells people to support Alita Battle Angel instead.

It was how I came to watch Alita actually, since it's so well reviewed. I was truly blown away.

It's actually a very good movie. I have never read the manga or seen the anime, but this looks like a very good movie adaptation. It's usually very difficult to adapt manga/anime into a movie, but this one did it quite well (according to reviewers who have seen the manga/anime).

Though, the movie is also not without flaws. The character development, story arc, and world-building are amazing. But it does seem rushed, which is understandable considering they have to cram so much manga/anime material into a 2 hour slot.

It's very unfortunate (or maybe deliberate?) that both Alita and Captain Marvel are released almost at the same time to compete against each other. A Marvel movie will always win, regardless of controversies or how good/bad the movie is, since it's a big brand. Alita is doomed to be the underdog. It was never a fair fight to begin with. Just look at the major movie review sites.

Captain Marvel: high critics scores, low audience scores
Alita Battle Angel: low critics scores, high audience scores

Always trust audience scores more than critics scores, because those scores represent the entertainment value of a movie to us normies. Critics judge a movie with far more stringent criteria, and there are allegations that many critics tend to kowtow to big brands like Disney (giving them good reviews basically to keep their jobs).

Captain Marvel is really just a mediocre movie to me. It's average by most movie standards, but bad by Marvel standards. It's by far, the worst MCU movie ever. Worse than Thor 2. Brie Larson's acting in the movie was horrendous. All the other supporting characters in the movie, act far better than she did, and that is very bad considering the movie is supposed to be a solo movie about her. You don't even need any of the feminist or SJW nonsense to sink this movie. Even without all those controversies, it's already a forgettable movie. Any "success" the movie makes is simply because of the Marvel brand, and also it sits between the two highly anticipated Avengers movie.

It's really sad that it turned out this way. I am a MCU fan, and I want the movie to be good. But it is what it is. Marvel really dropped the ball on this one.

If you have a choice between watching Captain Marvel or Alita Battle Angle, I recommend watching the later.

It's not even that important for continuity to watch Captain Marvel before going into Avengers Endgame. There's hardly any tie, except for the psot credit scene. But even then it's not even that critical or unexpected. Basically the surviving Avengers stand around Nick Fury's beeping pager, wondering what it does, and then Captain Marvel shows up.

Alita Battle Angel however, is a beautifully crafted movie. It's ironic that a cyborg CGI character displays more emotions, is more human-like, and has an amazing character arc, than Captain Woodface.

My personal rating:

Captain Marvel: 5/10
Alita Battle Angel: 9/10
It's not "just" a bang cut! I'm a sucker for bang chops!

klaatu48

Post by klaatu48 » 13 Mar 2019, 04:52

In regard to the Alita/Captain Marvel face-off, Alita was originally scheduled to be released last July, and i think the initial poor reaction to her appearance had them kick it back to December so they could rework a few of the effects. Unfortunately, December was incredibly packed (Spider-verse, Aquaman, Mortal Engines, etc.) so they moved it back again to Valentine's day. I don't think the double-bumpback helped, because people automatically think a movie is in trouble when they do that, but if anything, it would have been nice if they opened on Super Bowl weekend instead to give her a little more legroom.

That said... I loved the movie. As stated, it was really flawed (I don't think Cameron or Rodriguez could describe a three act arc no matter how much you paid them) and it was really hurt by the fact that even someone who loved it, like me, wouldn't be able to say what the plot was. There's no oint A to Point B journey, but rather a journey from Point A to Point F with a quick sidewipe of Point D and a glance at Point J then they swing by so you can wave at Point B. People need to be able to tell their friends what the movie is about beyond "It's about an amnesiac cyborg girl who really kicks ass and it looks awesome."

Alita is a great character, and I'd love to see more of her. It's doubtful we will unless the next Pandora movie is such a hit that Disney/Fox gives Alita 2 to Cameron as a thank you gift, but I'm holding out hope.

As for Captain Marvel, I've loved the character for a while and I thought it was a good movie, but maybe with the wrong directors. A few scenes were off, and some mistakes were made... I think I rank it among Doctor Strange and Ant-Man, which were good introductory movies but the sort of films you have to get past to get to the good stuff with the characters. (I think the only bad Marvel movies were Iron Man 2 and Thor 2, with Captain America: The First Avenger just clawing it's way to above average.) I do think the movie had one of the best bits of imagery of the MCU, but I can't say what without spoilers. So I won't.

So, to sum up -- Both movies were flawed, both were enjoyable, but Alita was more fun just for the first fight, the brawl, and the Motorball. I really could have done without Hugo being involved at all, though.

fastmandan88

Post by fastmandan88 » 13 Mar 2019, 05:07

James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez are very excited to work on Alita 2 ASAP. They said they want to work on more Alita movies so badly. Cameron has been obsessed with making an Alita movie since 1999. He is a hardcore Alita fanboy. There is no way he will allow the Avatar sequels to permanently kill any new Alita movies. He most likely already has the other Alita movies' screenplays already written by him. He should let Rodriguez use some spare Avatar CGI studios and technology to make it very easily, financially, to film more sequels.

They should have at least two more films to close her arc (even though I really want a bonus fourth stand-alone prequel movie of her in her old life and how Earth/Moon/Mars politics and societies were 300 years earlier).

I didn't mind Hugo. Actor was no Marlon Brando but to have Alita's character development get stronger a character like Hugo was necessary for later movies. Consider him like the annoying female characters in some of the male-lead similar type of movies.

foobaar_cad

Post by foobaar_cad » 13 Mar 2019, 22:35

I loved Alita also! I've seen it 3 times, possibly 4th before it's done in cinemas. Such a great movie! Alita is what Captain Marvel should have been!