Lack of national flag displays in Germany?

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
bangs-cutter

Lack of national flag displays in Germany?

Post by bangs-cutter » 16 Aug 2018, 23:37

There seems to be a lot of Germans here, so I thought I'd ask this here.

I am currently travelling for my summer holidays through Germany.

I notice one peculiar thing. In other countries I traveled to, people are proud of their national flag and fly them everywhere.

But I notice in Germany, that is not the case. Rare to see the German flag flown around, except on government buildings, and even then, it's not as important as the regional flag. The only place I have seen the German national flag flown high is on the Reichstag in Berlin (but the European Union flag is placed higher in the middle... :roll: ).

Probably has to do with history on two factors. Prior to the late 19th century,the modern nation of Germany is not unified, but rather made up of various Germanic states. Then, came ultra-nationalism in two world wars. I'm guessing here, so correct me if I am wrong:

Is it due to fear of what ultra nationalism has done in its past, that modern Germany is less patriotic in the national sense, taking more pride in its regional identity than national identity internally?

Except when it comes to international sports and foreign policy?

Probably stepping on sensitive topic here, so if I have unintentionally offended any Germans here due to my ignorance, I apologise in advance and wish to learn more about this peculiarity. :)
It's not "just" a bang cut! I'm a sucker for bang chops!

Alpha111

Re: Lack of national flag displays in Germany?

Post by Alpha111 » 16 Aug 2018, 23:53

There's a stigma regarding the flag in Germany. Displaying it carries nationalist connotations and the media in Germany has beat that into people. At the same time, there are a lot of people that are finally getting tired of being scared of their own past and the flag, hence why things like the AfD exist and why Bavaria almost broke with Merkel.

Things like Military service are also seen as a negative, while in most other countries it is seen as one of the highest callings.

dweebster

Post by dweebster » 17 Aug 2018, 20:58

Few countries fly their national flag to the extent that the US does, and certainly don't go around claiming to be "#1" or "The greatest" etc.
It's not a lack of pride in what their country may have achieved as much as it is that they don't see it as a competition. Western Europe has had a history of wars over the centuries, generally through excessive nationalism and desire to dominate. At best they were zero-sum battles, but generally everyone lost. That's now in the past and part of it has been accepting that all nations are great in some ways (especially Germany IMO), that all have challenges, and that those are often just the situations that the current generations have inherited. So there's no need to go banging ones own drum or making comparisons to other nations, just as most people don't go around announcing how perhaps "we are the greatest household on the street" and flying a flag highlighting our house number.
Overt national pride and cheer-leading can be left for places such as the sports field as we recently saw at the World Cup.
I'm not saying America should change its ways, just understand why others generally don't do likewise.

bangs-cutter

Post by bangs-cutter » 17 Aug 2018, 21:29

dweebster wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 20:58
Few countries fly their national flag to the extent that the US does, and certainly don't go around claiming to be "#1" or "The greatest" etc.
It's not a lack of pride in what their country may have achieved as much as it is that they don't see it as a competition. Western Europe has had a history of wars over the centuries, generally through excessive nationalism and desire to dominate. At best they were zero-sum battles, but generally everyone lost. That's now in the past and part of it has been accepting that all nations are great in some ways (especially Germany IMO), that all have challenges, and that those are often just the situations that the current generations have inherited. So there's no need to go banging ones own drum or making comparisons to other nations, just as most people don't go around announcing how perhaps "we are the greatest household on the street" and flying a flag highlighting our house number.
Overt national pride and cheer-leading can be left for places such as the sports field as we recently saw at the World Cup.
I'm not saying America should change its ways, just understand why others generally don't do likewise.
I'm not American btw. Did I come off sounding American? :roll:

I've moved around a bit, and currently living in France, and traveled extensively around Europe. Germany does stand out from the countries I have visited in that they don't fly their national flag as much. Don't get me wrong; Germany is a great country, with an amazing infrastructure system. It's just an observation I want answers for.
It's not "just" a bang cut! I'm a sucker for bang chops!

jinx

Post by jinx » 18 Aug 2018, 15:10

Might be due to the Germany reunification back in the 90's? If I remember correctly the West and East used to have their own flag.

viper74

Post by viper74 » 18 Aug 2018, 16:42

They are using the western flag. Eastern flag was the the same with a communist roundel in the middle

Qwertz

Post by Qwertz » 19 Aug 2018, 23:48

"Prior to the late 19th century,the modern nation of Germany is not unified"
In this case, we are still not unified. 'Bundesrepublik Deutschland' means literally 'Federal States of Germany' - you forget things like the Kaiserreich ('2. Reich' - that's why Hitlers Germany have been the '3. Reich') or the Heiliges Römisches Reich (Deutscher Nation) - a unified germany, that exist over 1000 years. But 'Germany' never becomes a centralistic state, like Fance or GB, Germany always have been a Federation. With all it good and bads.

"Then, came ultra-nationalism in two world wars."
No. Then came a world war, that germany lose, with (understandable) very revengeful winners, THAN Ultra Nationalism and THAN a second war.

"Is it due to fear of what ultra nationalism has done in its past, that modern Germany is less patriotic in the national sense, taking more pride in its regional identity than national identity internally?"
No.

"Except when it comes to international sports?"
No. The guys, waving around flags at international sports, looking like jerks, ARE jerks. Mostly drunken jerks.

"Probably stepping on sensitive topic here"
Only for non-germans, didn't understanding, that we have a different opinion on 'Patriotism' and far-far-lefties in germany itself, no one really care about. The common german didn't even care about the flag.

"There's a stigma regarding the flag in Germany."
There is no 'stigma' - we just don't care about nationalism - we don't need to show our neighbors our patriotism by waving a small little colored pice of fabric. We show it by paying our tax, by not litter our community, by follow rules.

Alpha111

Post by Alpha111 » 20 Aug 2018, 00:37

"Pay taxes and follow rules."

Never has there been a more german statement. There is more to life than work friend.

seanchelsey

Post by seanchelsey » 22 Aug 2018, 01:20

Qwertz wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 23:48
"Prior to the late 19th century,the modern nation of Germany is not unified"
In this case, we are still not unified. 'Bundesrepublik Deutschland' means literally 'Federal States of Germany' - you forget things like the Kaiserreich ('2. Reich' - that's why Hitlers Germany have been the '3. Reich') or the Heiliges Römisches Reich (Deutscher Nation) - a unified germany, that exist over 1000 years. But 'Germany' never becomes a centralistic state, like Fance or GB, Germany always have been a Federation. With all it good and bads.

"Then, came ultra-nationalism in two world wars."
No. Then came a world war, that germany lose, with (understandable) very revengeful winners, THAN Ultra Nationalism and THAN a second war.

"Is it due to fear of what ultra nationalism has done in its past, that modern Germany is less patriotic in the national sense, taking more pride in its regional identity than national identity internally?"
No.

"Except when it comes to international sports?"
No. The guys, waving around flags at international sports, looking like jerks, ARE jerks. Mostly drunken jerks.

"Probably stepping on sensitive topic here"
Only for non-germans, didn't understanding, that we have a different opinion on 'Patriotism' and far-far-lefties in germany itself, no one really care about. The common german didn't even care about the flag.

"There's a stigma regarding the flag in Germany."
There is no 'stigma' - we just don't care about nationalism - we don't need to show our neighbors our patriotism by waving a small little colored pice of fabric. We show it by paying our tax, by not litter our community, by follow rules.
Genau Agree good

Qwertz

Post by Qwertz » 23 Aug 2018, 00:33

Alpha111 wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 00:37
"Pay taxes and follow rules."

Never has there been a more german statement. There is more to life than work friend.
I can't remember my statement 'We only work'. Can you show it me, please?

scissortooth

Post by scissortooth » 25 Aug 2018, 22:19

Shit, I really prefer German kind of patriotism to the kind my compatriots in Poland seem to prefer. But I'm a black sheep I suppose ;)