Race and language identification ability

This is the place for not hair related discussions.
bangs-cutter

Race and language identification ability

Post by bangs-cutter » 02 Aug 2018, 17:38

1.) Which ethnicity / race would you consider yourself as?

2.) How well can you identify people groups of different ethnicity / race, based on physical appearance alone?

3.) What about languages; can you identify which language is being spoken just from hearing, without translation?

One usually can tell apart their own race, and those they regularly come into contact with, called the cross-race effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-race_effect

Though with globalisation, multi-culturalism, the internet, social media, and "us" here actively searching out hair fetish material, it would be interesting to know if it has enabled "us" to better identify people of other races.

Let me get the ball rolling.

1.) My background is quite complicated. If someone were to ask me "where I am from?", it's an incredibly layered response. Suffice to say:

I am of Chinese ethnicity, 4th generation Chinese diaspora born (and spent my childhood) in Southeast Asia, but currently living in Europe. So usually I'm reluctant to mention my ethnicity when asked, since people usually associate "Chinese" with China nationality. Diaspora Chinese usually do not like or want to be mistakenly associated with mainland Chinese, due to negative connotations of the later.

The background of this is phenomena is due to mass migration from the late 19th century onwards, there are significant Chinese diaspora populations all around the world with little ties to the mainland China. It's why there are Chinatowns in almost every major city. Kinda similar to how European settlers migrated from the old world to the new world in the Americas.

2.) Due to my background, I can easily identify and differentiate the different Asian people groups, especially from East Asia and Southeast Asia.

Then, having spent time in university and working in Western countries over many years, I acquired ability to tell the European groups apart, at least by general region. Mediterranean (Italy, Spain, Greece), Northern Europe (Norway, Sweden, FInland), Dutch (the extreme height gives them away), German, Western Europe (British Isles, France), Eastern Europe and Balkans (Slavic group).

Due to my internet "research" bias, I can more readily identify and differentiate women than men... :lol:

3.) The languages I can identify from hearing (even though I may not understand):

English (duh!)
French
German
Germanic languages (I can only tell that it's the general Germanic language group, but not identify which one in particular)
Italian
Spanish / Portuguese (these two sound too similar to differentiate)
Slavic languages (I can only tell that it's the general Slavic language group, but not identify which one in particular)
Chinese
Cantonese
Korean
Japanese
Malay
Indo-China languages (I can only tell that it's the general Indo-China language group, but not identify which one in particular)
Arabic
Indian languages (I can only tell that it's the general Indian language group, but not identify which one in particular)
It's not "just" a bang cut! I'm a sucker for bang chops!

Tizona

Re: Race and language identification ability

Post by Tizona » 02 Aug 2018, 18:21

1) Jewish (non-Orthodox)

2 & 3) I'm good with accents but sketchy with appearances. It's not really something I pay much attention to, tbh - I usually just take people as I find them.

headboy

Re: Race and language identification ability

Post by headboy » 02 Aug 2018, 19:14

1.) Which ethnicity / race would you consider yourself as?

My grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Italy. So, I'm Italian-American

2.) How well can you identify people groups of different ethnicity / race, based on physical appearance alone?

I'm fairly bad at identifying people based on race. It is due in part to growing up in an incredibly mixed-race neighborhood.

3.) What about languages; can you identify which language is being spoken just from hearing, without translation?

I speak English and Italian, so I can recognize regional accents from both the U.S. and Italy pretty well.
SInce I played hockey, I can notice differences in they way Canadians speak. My college roommate was British (she still is, we just haven't lived together in 35 years), so I got pretty good with English and Irish accents, since many of her friends were also from the UK/Ireland. Several European accents are fairly obvious, some are more subtle, so I am pretty hit or miss there.

I have an aunt from Okinawa, so, I can hear the subtle differences when she or her family speaks as opposed to most Asians, which, sadly, I am terrible at differentiating.