Anybody into firearms?

Another member mentioned going to the gun range, so just wondering if we have any other shooters here?
I’m mostly into military and law enforcement type firearms and blades, aside from my deer rifle, a Remington 7400 in .270.

I definitely am. Shoot mostly 9 mm, .223 , 308, 45-70 and 45 LC for fun. A Glock 19 is my daily carry.

1 Like

My daily is a Glock 23. Also have a 22 and 27 (nice little .40 family lol), and some others in 9mm and .380. Have some in .223 too along with “commie block” stuff in 7.62x39.
Happy shooting!

Yes and no. I am not ‘into’ guns but I have friends in law enforcement who encouraged me to go shooting with them. It’s a blast! So I bought a retired Glock (G22) when they told me they were going up for sale (cheap). My friend Frank helped me buy his gun. I was nervous about having it in my house or in my car afraid I’d get arrested for some stupid technicality.

The guys said I should get my CC permit because I would learn everything in the training. So I did it but I never carry it. It’s just fun to go shoot it. I’m not very good so we laugh a lot at my expense. Their running joke is how intruders will be scared away by the 15 ‘warning’ shots I fire at them.

2 Likes

I have a Glock 22 in my night stand gun safe. It as a light attached. My instructor told me never have a home defense gun with out an attached light. Its the only 40mm I have

The instructors I had were a little intense and obviously trying to sell more guns and accessories. I won’t buy a light or anything else for it. I don’t consider it a home defense gun. I bought it because I liked shooting and not having my own gun was like joining a bowling team without owning a bowling ball. I’m just not all that into it. I won’t have a ‘daily’ gun or a family of guns. I might buy a different one that I can shoot better without making my hand sore. My friend has a really nice one I liked to shoot but then he told me how much it cost. Never! Also, I will never own a bowling ball.

1 Like

I’m also in law enforcement, until I retire next year anyway :slight_smile: .
I like everything about your post! My Glock 22 is also my retired duty weapon, as is my 23. Our agency returned to Glock 17’s and 19’s and I purchased both of mine for a decent price. For you to actually know the person who carried your Glock 22 is a great thing, similar to purchasing a used car…you know how it’s been treated. Glocks are almost indestructible but still good to know who had it.
Also I love that you saw the need to get the permit and the training. Both are important without a doubt. That’s something to be proud of in itself, regardless of how often you choose to carry.
You’d be surprised how many officers there are who only go to the range when it’s time for mandatory qualifications for proficiency. I on the other hand, agree with you that shooting is a blast (pun intended :stuck_out_tongue:) and go as often as I can.
Do what you feel comfortable with when it comes to home defense or carry in your car. The choices you’ve made are spot on. The only things i would offer are to keep shooting first and foremost. Most gun stores that have a range will rent weapons or even let you test fire a weapon if you’re thinking of purchasing. Find one that you feel comfortable shooting. It makes a huge difference, and you will find yourself going to shoot more frequently. The Glock 22 is a large frame weapon and is chambered in .40 S&W, which produces a good bit of recoil. The Glock 19 is a slightly smaller frame and is chambered in 9mm. That is my all time favorite handgun. My Glock 22 is my “nightstand gun” and it does have a Streamlight flashlight/laser attached. If you ever change your mind about having a firearm for home defense, I highly stress having a good dependable bright flashlight nearby as well. Finally, if you do happen to ever get pulled over while your gun is in your car, let the officer know you have it. Many States now show a weapons permit when the license plate is run if the vehicle is registered to you before the officer ever comes to your window, but not all do…and it’s appreciated when you let them know.
Never say never when it comes to your interest picking up and/or you purchasing more. My neighbor had never fired a gun before he went to the range with me, and was nervous before taking his first shots. Thirty minutes later, he was offering to buy more range time if we could stay longer. He has since bought a Glock 27, a Ruger LCP, a Walther P22, a Ruger 10/22 carbine and an SKS rifle. I also tought him about drinking whiskey, but that’s a story for another day :wink:.

I wish I could be. Two things hold me back…

1. It’s just too expensive for me to purchase and gain some use from firearms. If I had a bunch of uncommitted money, then yeah, it would be fun to own a pistol or two, be able to buy ammunition for same, and purchase a membership at a firearms range.

2. My eyesight is toast. I remember having fun hunting ducks, geese, and pheasants as a kid, but just like golfing, I can’t see a damn thing anymore. So those kind of hobbies would be very tough for me. I would need to restrict myself to a controlled environment, like a shooting range. Don’t think I’d like to try out in the wild anymore.

Gigin

1 Like

I feel your pain. If you add not being able to hear worth a shit in addition to the eyesight heading south. One bit of good news is there are prescription protective shooting glasses available.
There are affordable weapons around, although at the present they are harder to find…along with ammo. But give it a little time and hopefully that will change. It cycles around. I picked up a used little .38 for $150 and gave it to my daughter. Hopefully find someone looking to see something or trade. Good luck!

Ah yes…the hearing. Forgot about that. I have STRONG tinnitus at all times. Getting old has it’s challenges, doesn’t it, Artibus? :slight_smile:

Gigin

1 Like

LOL…well hell, now I’ve gotta tell you about my fall the other day.
Completely sober.
Tripped over my own big feet while grilling on the Weber charcoal grill.
My knee landed on the top…that I had just removed from the hot grill and sat on the ground, burning my knee.
My side of my ass hit the ground hard enough to bruise.
Yes…my neighbor was out in his yard and saw it all :roll_eyes:.
Time for my nap lol.

Genuine question from an outsider. Please don’t be offended by my question, I am curious to learn.

Is it that you don’t trust your police to protect you from criminals or do you carry guns in public simply to exercise a legal right to do so?

I am assuming that you do not intend to murder another human being with your gun, so why carry one?

A gun doesn’t have any use outside of sport other than injuring and killing. A knife can be used as a tool and is useful for other things. In parts of Europe knives are legal to carry as tools but not to be used as a deadly weapon. In other parts like the UK I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) almost all carrying of knives is illegal.

So why carry a gun? You already pay taxes towards one of the most well funded police systems in the world. If you are afraid to walk down the street without carrying your own gun, why not demand better standards of crime prevention from local politicians, social workers and police departments?

Also, why do you assume that carrying a gun protects you? If someone is older or physically slower how is them carrying a gun anything less than a liability? I have a friend who works in law enforcement who told me that they are trained that if someone is closer than 20 meters with a draw knife there is almost nothing you can do to stop them from stabbing you unless your firearm is already drawn and you can remain calm enough to shoot them. This is apparently almost impossible to do without many hours of training.

With all of this in mind, I assume that carrying a gun is more politically symbolic than an effective means of protection. Or maybe the idea of carrying a gun makes you feel safe even though that may not be the case in reality?

Help me understand.

2 Likes

Well I’ve been in Law Enforcement for over thirty years, so I guess I can help you, or try to.
While we are highly trained and (most) highly motivated, there are several factors as to why you cannot depend on the police to protect you every time from a criminal. There’s an old saying: “When seconds count, the police are only minutes away”. In other words, police officers are limited by time and space, just as medical professionals. Additionally, police departments have suffered huge losses due to officers leaving the profession in the wake of the large number of officers murdered along with indictments against officers that are totally wrong, for doing nothing other than their job. I’ll give you an example: Two Atlanta police officers responded to a call from a Wendys restaurant employee because a man was asleep in his car blocking the drive thru lane. They arrived, woke the man up and began questioning him about why he was there asleep . The officers body cam video filmed the whole thing…they were polite and cordial to him but when they told him they were having to arrest him because he was drunk behind the wheel , he began to fight. The man, who was black, knocked one officer to the ground, causing a concussion, and grabbed the officers Taser before running away. The second officer pursued him and the man turned and fired a Taser dart at that officer, narrowly missing him. At this time the second officer fired his weapon and the man was killed.
That officer was indicted by a corrupt and inept district attorney and is still waiting on a trial. Meanwhile the new district attorney overturned the officers premature firing from the force…he got his job back but is still awaiting possible jail time. Moral of the story? Thousands of police officers saw this and said “Screw this…I’m quitting!” Morale among officers, especially in large cities, is low. Many refuse to go answer calls for help, as you yourself would call for, because the risk outweighs the pay. That’s not my sentiment but just the way it is in a lot of cities. If you factor all of the above into the equation… if you are in the US, particularly if you are in a large urban city, depending solely on the police for the personal protection of yourself and your family is risky, to say the least…and this a Police Officer telling you this.
A permit is required for most States in the US for a person to carry a gun. That permit is obtained after an extensive background check all the way up to Federal levels, and with required firearms safety and handling training in most states.

As for knives…I’ve seen the damage a knife can do. Most people would rather be shot than cut with a knife or stabbed. Trust me. Your friend is kind of correct about the twenty meters, except its called THE TWENTY ONE FOOT RULE, and it means if someone rushes you from a distance of twenty one feet , you have no time to draw and aim your weapon so it is important to be alert and not distracted.
A young officer in my department was killed in the line of duty many years ago. He answered a call about a woman screaming for help at an apartment and when he arrived he could hear her screaming. Instead of waiting for backup, he rushed in to help her. He could see the man with his arm around her throat and focused on him…but he didn’t see the other man standing off to his left. That man shot the officer fatally in his side. I was standing in the courtroom and heard the Medical Examiner say "We could not have saved Officer XXXXXXX even if he had collapsed right onto an operating table after being shot. I’ve never forgotten that.
We teach situational awareness at my agency, meaning just keep your eyes off your phone and open to what and who is around you. Trust your instincts…if your gut tells you someone doesn’t look right, try to avoid them if possible.
The United States Bill of Rights has a Second Amendment that the Founding Fathers thought important enough to put right behind the right to free speech…the Right to keep and bear Arms. It’s not for sporting or for hunting. It’s because they knew that citizens without an ability to protect themselves from a tyrannical corrupt government were helpless. That sad fact manifested itself in the 1930’s when the Nazis forced gun confiscations of all the citizens in Germany. We know what followed.
In the end, yes a gun can actually save your life or the life of someone else. It happens everyday that a legal gun owner stops a crime with his or her gun. Google “citizen saves police officer” and watch the video(s) on youtube.
For me personally, when I’m off duty, my gun is concealed beneath a shirt or jacket…no one knows im carrying. It’s not symbolic, nor is it political. It is simply a tool…the same as I would use a tool for some task. The difference being only in that the task would be to deter a crime. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you think Nazis would fare differently in Germany of that time with guns left unconfiscated, think again.

Also, somehow the whole post-war Europe manages without that freedom without too many issues.

4 Likes

I have said that I do not carry my gun. I enjoy shooting, however. As you said…sport.

I trust police to protect me from criminals to a degree but I do not live in a neighborhood where I feel threatened by criminals. Usually, the police only become involved AFTER a crime has been committed n ot as prevention or protectors. The police respond to calls for help as soon as they are able, investigate crimes and apprehend suspects. The police cannot be everywhere at all times. The county where I live has just 7 deputies patrolling on a Saturday night. This is misleading because there are also local police within the city but of you live in a remote area, the response time can be 20 minutes or more. Most people I know who own guns for protection live in rural or remote areas.

I do not live in a high crime or rural area. A high school friend lived in a rental area popular with college students. She was murdered while napping on her sofa when she awoke to find someone going through her things. She tried to escape, screamed for help and was shot. A neighbor heard her and the shots. He called police. The police arrived as she bled to death from the gunshots.

The police did eventually catch the person who murdered her. He confessed as part of a plea deal. He had seen her purse through the window on the kitchen table and broke in to steal it. He shot her because she screamed. The killer was well-known to police, a drug user and a thief who stole regularly to purchase drugs. Judges let him out with low bail and/or sentenced him to probation for his habitual crimes while his defense attorney cited his drug addiction as a “disease” while defending him. It was sickening to watch them try this again while defending him against murder charges.

We can and do demand answers and accountability from politicians, judges and the police. For some, carrying a gun is politically symbolic because I know some of “those” people. For others, like the room mate of my murdered friend, guns, self defense classes, therapy, pepper spray, deadbolt locks, bars on her windows and two dogs are anything but political. She carries her gun with her along with the experience of losing a beautiful friend to a worthless thug.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make with all the talk about knives and the claims guns aren’t an effective means of protection. You said, “Help me understand.” but it seems like something else. I’ve had enough anti-gun friends assume I’m a gun nut because I have a CC permit to spot someone seeking a debate about guns. They all start out just the way you have.

1 Like

At least the people in Germany would have had a fighting chance.
I’m glad that Europe is doing fine. I had heard differently…something about Germans and Swedes now are having issues of their own with some particular immigrants, similar to the entire city blocks in France that are “No Go Zones”.
Anyway, I mostly pay attention to what’s happening near me and my family these days, and we’re good. Armed…and good :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing your perspective. The differences between post-war Europe and the USA’s approach to gun legislation is interesting. I always assumed that it is cultural rather than entirely practical, then a friend of mine pointed out that the cat is fully out of the bag in the US regarding the number of firearms in circulation. I can see how a situation like that would be challenging to solve.

How do you feel about the idea of licensing for gun ownership being similar to a driving license?

As you say the gun is a tool, albeit with potentially lethal consequences of misuse. A car could also be considered a tool with potentially lethal consequences of misuse. I don’t believe that there is anything in the constitution about the right to car ownership, for the obvious reason that cars didn’t exist then. But neither did assault rifles or semi automatic firearms of any kind.

Thanks for your perspective. As I said originally, I’m asking out of curiosity rather than judgment. I hope that comes across.

I’m really sorry about your friend. I can’t say how many similar stories I’ve seen, with my own eyes. Some fueled an anger in me that is unmentionable.
One was a beautiful young black lady who was working as a school bus driver to support herself and her small children. Her ex-husband was a piece of shXX who had repeatedly beaten her.
She went through EVERY legal channel to save herself from him, including getting a restraining order that prohibited him from coming within 300 feet of her at any time. It didn’t work. He walked onto the bus and shot her in the head in front of all the kids on that damn bus. I wish she had gotten a gun instead of that damn piece of paper.
That was another one from a longgggg time ago, still in my memory like it happened yesterday.

Anyway,you’re right, she did ask for help here. Hopefully our posts helped.
I imagine we’ll see.

I can tell you it would have been rather different. Gun ownership in 1930’s Germany was restricted to registered members of the Nazi Party. by the time the population realized what was going on, it was basically too late to fight back. A stick doesn’t really do a lot against a tank. (source: check the flag next to my name).

Also, one of the reasons the Japanese never tried to invade the US mainland (they did invade the Alaskan islands but that doesn’t really count since they were basically icy rocks) was the sheer amount of weapons and there was “a gun behind every blade of grass” (the quote is somewhat disputed but the sentiment remains).

Also, I think the US second amendment has been somewhat misquoted here. The second amendment is not the right to bear arms. This is incomplete. It is that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. The right to bear arms transcends the amendment and it is inferred that it is a basic human right and the second amendment only prevents any action that would interfere with this right.

1 Like